autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
:Yikes: wassup .....i always wondered........is it normal for corals to close up and my mushroom and ricordias look unormal during water changes?
i have a 46 bow with diy sump,asm mini skimmer, and i usually change about 5-7 gallons a week and i aerate the water/salt for half a day before even thinking of changing the water....they all seem to be normal after a few hours though.........does this happen to evryone?

tangerine

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe could be due to lack of flows(as you would have probably switch off the pumps while doing the water change),some disturbance while you are cleaning the glass panels and sand beds?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
One remote possibility is light shock, though I would sooner peg that as the cause if you were doing larger, more infrequent changes. If the water is old and has dissolved matter in it which tints the water, it absorbs light more than you would think. when you add clean water, suddenly there is more light coming through to the corals, and they may be defending themselves this way.

Christine

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
welll...the salinity is very close.....but hmmm.....the temp might be off...ill have to check on the next water change....any other reasons?

do you really need any other reason ,lol

if you say your salt is off and your temp is off ,then there is your problem.
try using a heater and a refactometer to check your salt.these are 2 main reason why they are stress during water changes

hope that helps :splitspin

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I think it also depends on how sensitive the coral is.
When I do water changes, my lobo always closes up no matter how little water I change while every thing else remains open.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
yeah, the water temp is a huge issue, i learned that after my second water change when my coral wouldn't open for a day. had the tank temp at 76-77 and the water i replaced it with was 81/82. Salt levels were a perfect match. guess it gave a little shock.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: