Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharkbait420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a intex pool this summer for my kid 10' round about 24" deep for 100 bucks with a pump off of amozon. Nice and cheap if smeone want to do it

You are half way there. The kids will love and think you are the coolest dad ever. Do it for the children.

One day i will do it. It will be in my screened deck with a rimless refugium on top flowing into it.

That 5gal in the inflatable pond, is it plumbed to something external?

Until you get a screened deck this will work. The 5 gallon bucket is not hooked up to anything. It has holes on the bottom so water can flow through. Inside has bioballs and the pump. As the water pumps out the top new water flows in through the bottom. This is to protect the pump from the shark. Having the water drop increase o2 levels in the water.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EY1PWQ8/?tag=reefs04-20

C

Cu455

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid $35 for the pool. I used a pond liner and pre liner just because I had it. It is really not needed.It is good insulation though.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Upkeep is much easier then your typical tank. You have more room to work, don't need to worry about cleaning he glass, you can spread your rock work out and the round shape of the pool makes for excellent flow. Water changes are normal, I use a 34 gallon brute can. The pool is only 15 inches high and holds about 150 gallon. Because it is shallow is actually makes an excellent pond for coral.

When I was younger me and my friends will go into a round pool and run the perimeter creating a whirlpool. The same concept with the flow in the pond. I have my intakes near the edge and they grab everything.

I have stingrays and other predators in the pond and they are big poopers, messy eaters and small pieces of food don't get eaten. and mechanical filtration gets clogged fast. I use a sponges for mechanical filtration which I try to clean every day. Which is more then the once a week I do in my reef tank. The sponges are like the clean up crew of the pond. I have snails and hermits in there. As soon as the pumps go on after feeding most of the food ends up in the filtration.

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I am still moving live stock, equipment and setting it up. Here it is so far. in the video the first two fish are a mai tai clownfish and a pacific creole fish. I just moved them about an hour ago. The Creole fish was a little stressed. if you notice his left eye is messed up. When I first got him he had the worst case of popeye I ever saw. Now it's almost back to normal. There is black sand which was a poor choice. It is hard to see dark fish. I guess I will just have to get some fish with color.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z9F7Z9aqO74

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 268

basejumper

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ponds are dope. Tons of people have ponds in California. Once you see fish in a large pond setting you realize how much room some fish people keep in tanks should have. You also realize the speed in which fish move. If the fish have the room to accelerate and maintain a high speed they will fly through the water. Post people not realize. One day I will have a dope pond.

Sharkbait420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I convinced someone from the theater department to build a pond at his place. This is going to be nice. He does prop work and builds lots of stuff. Me and him are the perfect team. We are like Batman and Robin. I come up with the ideas and he does the work. pictures to come soon.

C

Cu455

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody sent me a message about the cost of setting it up. I figured I will share my response in case anyone else was interested.

As for cost I have no idea. But I will figure it out. Some of the stuff I got for free or already had, I just estimated a price on these items. A lot of the stuff I bought used. I think I covered everything.

Prices for the pond and everything in it.

Pond-$35
Pre liner-$20
Liner-$30
Clamps to hold liner-$15
Mag 9 pump-$50
Rocks-$60
Stingrays-$50 each, $100 total
Sun-Sun powerheads-$20

Total-$330

Prices for the wet/dry

Container-$8
Spray bar-$7
Drip plate-$.50
Filter pad-$1
Bioballs-$10
pot scrubbers-$25
Mesh Laundry bag-$1
bulkhead-$5
Tubing-$2

Total-$59.50

Prices for fuge and what is in the fuge

Two little fish biopellet reactor with biopellets-$40
Heaters-$40
Ceramic rings-$5
Carbon-$5
Coralife turbo twist-36watt-$50
Jebao UV bulb-$10
Bulkhead-$5
Tubing-$3

Total-$158

Random stuff

Salt-$30
Etss skimmer (either a 1500 or 2000) and little giant pump-$200
Dome light and bulb-$20 each, $40 for both.
Total-$270

GRAND TOTAL- $827.50. More then I expected but not to bad. I also got the skimmer and rocks for free. The pump for the came with a tank I overpaid for.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a pleasure to become a member here. I found this thread while searching the web about reef ponds. This thread has some of the best information and setups I have found. You NYers know how to do the reefing thing. I am building a fish room with 15 tanks. While driving around I found someone with tons of ponds in their yard and they told me I can have some. Long story short I am building a reef pond in my fish room. I'm not sure how many gallons the ponds will fully hold. I think it will be cool to hold sharks and rays in them. I don't have time to upload pictures here but it will get done later. Here is a link to my R2R build thread. I will also start a build thread here with some Manhattan Reef exclusive pictures X0 . I am looking for any advance about setting up the pond for sharks and rays. http://reef2reef.com/threads/fish-room-and-reef-pond-build.234416/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: