kdrayo

Kevin
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
hey everyone, got this online and was delivered this morning (overnight shipment). it's looked like this all day and it's now 7pm. all water parameters are good. any suggestions on what to do? any help is appreciated. thanks.

oh and by the way, pay no attention to the algae outbreak. my reef is only 2.5 months old :eek:

Attachments

• lemnalia.jpg
    lemnalia.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 214

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
is this coral also known as some thing like carnation type of thing? like the orange ones we typically see?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Lemnalia are very closely related to Capnella and Nephthea. Lemnalia have symbiotic algae zooxanthellae and don't need to be feed, though it doesn't hurt to feed them.

Carnation, Dendronephthya, don't have symbiotic algae zooxanthellae and need to be feed.

If you go to www.Garf.org and look under "All About Coral" you'll see a tab on Lemnalia that contain pictures and info.

Here is a link from Garf on these type of Corals:
http://www.garf.org/1armci/dendro.html

Last edited:

ReeferGoneMad

I Smoke Live Rocks
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dendronepthea is a carnation that u speak of aaron. Neospongoides a lemnalia is very closely related but its polyps extend alot farther than a carnation which have small colorful polyps. Lemnalia have polyps that can extend real far or just close up like a ball. For this reason alot of people will call a carnation a lemnalia and a lemnalia a carnation as they look very similar they are related but are two different coral with different needs as i heard carnations are harder to care for.it does appear to be stressed from shipping but as others said. It may look dead or dying but it might just be acclimating also dont be too alarmed if it appears to shead a layer of tissue as they do this when they are either growing or stressed similar to leather corals when they do this. Give it a few days and see what happens for all you know u could wake up and he could be two times to 4 times its oringinal size since u received it.

kdrayo

Kevin
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
here's an updated picture i took at 2pm today. it looks like it's attempting to stand up a little. i bought it from seacrop.com it's actually alot bigger than the picture on their website and it hasn't even opened up yet.

Attachments

• lemnalia1.jpg
    lemnalia1.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 644

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
here's an updated picture i took at 2pm today. it looks like it's attempting to stand up a little. i bought it from seacrop.com it's actually alot bigger than the picture on their website and it hasn't even opened up yet.

Did you read the above posts? It may take a few days to recover from shipment and acclimate itself to your tank conditions.

Dean

p.s. What are your nitrate levels?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
From what I've seen of these, and I also have similar tree corals and Capnella and Nephthea, they always flop over in the morning and don't always standup straight. Even when this coral final does fully expands more times than not it will fall over and not standup straight. Doesn't mean it's not doing well it's just how this coral acts.

ReeferGoneMad

I Smoke Live Rocks
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i have actually seen great sucess with keeping these tree corals either hung upside down from the LR or put on a angle on LR. for some reason its harder for them to stand up straight when they are acclimating so they tend to just stay flopped over. i guess if u can somehow put him on a piece of LR hanging he might open his polyps sooner as it looks like from the pic the branches that are semi hanging are opening.

Dude hes a sweet purple color maybe in a few months u could hook me up with a frag.
!!!DIBS!!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: