S

steveo32

WEll i need a pump to run my 180 gal tank. The only catch is, that the pump and sump will be located in the basment. I have calculated that there will be 20 feet of head pressure which includes all the plumbing resistance and the hieght to go up stairs. Now I was thinking of using a Sequence hammer head or a Manta ray. I not sure which is best. I wanted a pump with a high max shut off and that had a high gph rating at the tank. So if anyone knows which is better let me know. Also if anyone has either of these pumps for sale send me a pm as well. Thank you all.

Here are the charts for both but I think I'm reading them wrong:

pump_mdm_sequence_reeflo_hammerheadcurve.jpg

pump_mdm_sequence_reeflo_manta_ray_tiger_shark_curve.jpg

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Steve,

I have few questions concerns first with that much flow thru a sump. Are you using a custom tank or AGA, the stock AGA overflow is rated at 600GPH so for these pumps you’ll need to modify them? Your sump will need to be pretty large to accommodate that much flow; otherwise you’ll be fighting micro bubbles. Are you planning on a single pump system, any in-tank circulation? IMO I’d say go with the Hammerhead, JBNY from RC had a similar setup to what you’re planning (beautiful SPS system BTW) and used the Sequence 6000SEQ23 (similar to the Hammerhead) for everything and still had the pump throttled back. To get an idea here’s the link to his site, http://www.cnidarianreef.com

S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Joe, Yes the tank is a custom made 180 from this company in Brooklyn. It has a single overflow in the center of the tank. Now it originaly had a 1 1/2" drain and a 1" return. So what I did was drill the back of the tank and put two 1/2" bulk heads w/ a 1/2'' loc line split thing. (LOL). So I will be using both holes in the overflow for drains. So it would be one 1 1/2 " and one 1 ". The sump is an acrylic 65 gal. Yes I would be using this as a majority of my circulation. I want to get maybe two seio 1500 or 2600 but thats it I didn't really want anything in the tank and a closed loop is kinda not an opitons cuz then I would need two pumps pumping water upstairs.

Thank you for your questions I'm sorry I negelted to fully disclose my system. Abd thank you for your help.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: