• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Hey MR

Up early on a Saturday working on my new build. New tank is a Marineland 65 gallon Reef Ready tank custom stand and 30 gallon acrylic sump. This is my first RR tank. My other tank has a HOB overflow. I am noticing that when i run the SICCE full blast the overflow surges and flushes like a toilet. I experimented by dialing down the return pump from the built in valve on the pump itself. In order for the tank to not gurgle I have to turn the pump all the way down. Any ideas on how I can limit the gurgle without turning down the pump? Is it ok to run the pump restricted? Would it be better to exchange the pump for something smaller? I am also noticing the hole marineland made in the return plumbing so that it breaks the siphon makes the return sound like someone is peeing in the tank. It is truly loud and there is no way I can live with this. Any suggestions on where to relocate the hole? My sump is rather large for this tank so it can take the extra water if power were to go out.

As always thanks for all the suggestions. look forward to a build thread soon this tank is going to be packed with some great tech goodies (new apex controller, Skimz sm163 dc skimmer, and the new GHL wireless doser)

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
on the return, the hole should be just on or just below the water surface in your over flow. if not plug it and drill a new hole.
on the drains their should also be a hole for air. try making the hole bigger gradually until it stops.
you still might have to restrict the pump. you should have a valve on the return to adjust it. they say its ok to restrict, but i put a t fitting with a valve and dump the excess to the sump.
you don't want to return more water than the drains can handle, or you will have a flood.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Hey, just wrote a novel and it didn't post for some reason.
+1 with edd
also are you doing soft plumbing? if so post a pic of the flex hose drain and how it's running. You want that as straight as possible and to not have a "dip in it", meaning the hose go below the height of your sump and back up to drain, usually creates an air pocket in there and you get the gurgle. Don't quote me but I believe 1 bulkhead in that tank can handle 700gph max? Dial your pump back like edd mentioned here is a picture attached of 1 idea to do it. If you soft plumb it's still do able just need clamps and hose barbed ts etc. Good luck!
Keep us posted on progress and troubleshooting

Attachments

• 20140930_172225.jpg
    20140930_172225.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 53

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Guys thanks for the replies. The tank is soft plumbed. I picked this pump because its has 700 GPH flow and Sicce is supposed to be one of the best pumps out there. There is a flow restrictor built into the pump see link

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sicce-syncra-silent-3-0-pump-714-gph.html

So if i drill the silencer hole at the top of the drain will it be able to handle a larger volume of water? As you can see from the pictures below my drain is a straight shot into the filter sock so there should not be any air pockets in there.

IMG_0396_zps24fa58ed.jpg.html
[/IMG]

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
For soft tubing that Is as good as your getting an should be perfect. Honestly I'm surprised with that size pump and gph your having any issues.
There should be a hole already drilled in the top of cap on your drain, you can enlarge that slowly. You can also install a air restrictor valve and little piece of airline tubing and dial it in that way.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: