duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Randy if that was the worst I'd love to see the best. That speech was real interesting. I'm using fuel by aquavitro now and it has most of the elements he talked about but no way to test for them but my corals are looking the best they have ever looked

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I think Unique Corals should be releasing the Triton Method soon in the US. There's also GlennF's DSR method, but info is limited unless you can read Dutch. :happysad:

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Cool the presentation is on Triton elements? Manhattan Aquariums posted they were doing that..i definitely like the idea of quality testing to figure out what trace elements we need. They are too minuscule for me to trust home test kits on that stuff and long term I've always worried about those levels...

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Testing is not free, though perhaps they will offer free testing for a limited time to get people going. It will be $40 for a full panel, I believe, which is very reasonable. I have a more than rudimentary, though less than full understanding of the "method" and there are a lot of questions. For hardcore science geeks the testing methods are less than satisfactory, but for hobbyist purposes they are much better than the alternatives.

So, what do you do with these test results? Is there any research that documents high or low levels of any of these minor elements have an impact on coral growth or health? If so, what are these levels? And how do we deal with these imbalances if we decide they do matter? The Triton answer is to buy their salt and/ or supplements :) And after you supplemment how do you know you have corrected the imbalance? More testing..... I think you get the picture.

The guy has a drop dead gorgeous tank using this method. I tend to think like gorgeous Zeo tanks etc. that it has more to with the aquarist than the method. I'm sure this will work great for some, and I can def. see the value for really screwed up systems, but call me skeptical of some major revolution in reefkeeping. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
funny part is there will always be something new and supposedly better, ive seen a lot of tanks over the last decade lps and sps dominated tank's that were off the charts nice, they did water changes, used a calcium reactor and doses magnesium and nothing else, I truelly think we are trying to hard and over looking the simple

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I'm excited for it. The tried and true method of waterchanges has certainly worked well in the course of the hobby. But I've always wondered why there so many variations of salt mixes, when majority of them are synthetic?

Would running the same test on NSW give them/us the baseline of parameters to achieve?

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
If we can get better why not keeps coming up with new ways to do things. Maybe one of these methods will put a end to STN and rtn. There is still so much to learn and the evolution of the hobby is getting better and better

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I use to send my water to be tested at aquarium water testing which was owned I believe aqua medic. Tests were never accurate, I actually sent two sets of water samples from my aquarium with two different accounts and the results were different from each other when it was the same water. So I'm sorry but I lost trust with companies that test water. Till they receive the water it's at least a day, then it sits till you get your turn, depending how busy they are. How can saltwater sit in a tube for two or three days and test accurately.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Tusi, I think the method they use --ICP --is far more accurate and less susceptible to tainting than anything we have had access to before. That is my understanding at least from folks who really know. Some of these same folks are still not 100% thrilled with the testing methodology, but personally I don't think the testing part is going to be an issue for hobbyists.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: