MikesReef

Bread Of Life
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
yes I think that what happen. thank you for all the inof we learn from our mistake. what do you thing I should do with this rock I got, is there a way I can bring it back or should I just not use it at all ? and how about the sand is it gone to or should I just set it up with all new ro water and let it set for some time and how long....

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
First you need to find out if the rock was ever in tank that used copper or other chemical things, if it did, and you plan on adding corals and inverts to your tank, then you shouldn't use it. If it wasn't, then take the rock out and scrub it clean, remove any algae or stuff on it.

At this point you want to bake it and then recure it before you use it again.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
IMO Marrone hit it right on and gave very good advise....that much rock in that little of total water volumn with decaying matter in it would cause an ammonia spike which kills very quickly and then your filtration was able to convert it into nitrite...and as he mentioned verify that the rock wasn't exposed to copper or other chemicals if not then it needs to be cured and then add back to your tank small pieces at a time.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
You can bleach and scrub the rocks and let it dry out. Make sure you do it thoroughly or you could have the same effect as you just experienced with dead matter causing parameters to go out of whack. You have to make sure you take your time with it though.

Did you already purchase the 80?

I think it was an ammonia spike caused by the transfer. There is always a small die off. if the prior tank did have a thriving fish even though algae was apparent. How long was it out of a tank?

I've bought old live rock and placed directly in my tank as well but never double the amount necessary for that current tank. I would have placed it in a container with heat, new saltwater and a powerhead until you bought the 80.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: