marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Sounds to me like Copepods

-copepods you'll see on your glass. Often on the front, eating algae. They look like tiny white dots.
-amphipods you'll see skittering around, mostly after dark. Hit your rocks with a flashlight an hour after lights out. Anything 1/4" or so that skitters from the light is likely an amphipod.
-They come on and in live sand and rock. They breed in the same.
-they are good for fish in many ways, as food, as cleaner-uppers, as sand stirrers.
-they are the preferred / necessary food for dragonettes, although dragonettes are known to eat other things.

Check out the web site:
http://www.rshimek.com/odd_critters.htm#Sipunculan%20or%20Peanut%20Worms

Michael

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Can you give some information about your tank like rock, sand and what fish and corals you have in your tank also what are your reading. A fish dying could be from many different things. Usally the white spots on your glass are good things and don't cause any harm. If you go to that web site you should be able to indenifty the white spots and see if they're good or not.
Michael

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Justin,

I would venture to guess what Marrone has - that these are amphipds or copepods - they will not kill your fish or eat your corals - these are beneficial "critters" as we call them.

Your clownfish dying is likely from another problem - what are your other tank inhabitants, what are your water parameters and what kind of tank are you keeping? Reef, fish only, reef and fish? Do you have a host for your clownfish? (anemome) what kind of clown is it?

Without knowing the greater details of your tank it is hard to answer questions as the contributing factors to the death could be many.

Give us a run down on your tank parameters and maybe we can take a look.

Good luck and try hat Marrone said, get yourself a flashlight and after your tank lights (and all other lights too) are fof in the room, flash your flashlight into the tank -

Hope this helps,

House

Justin_NY

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i keep my percula clown in my 26 gallon tank reef. most,all my coral are mushrrom, colt, xenia , brain, hammer, star polyps.
my water perameter are
ph 8.1 night 8.3 day
nitire 0
amonia 0
nitrate 10 try to low it
i dont see anything wrong with it.
temp 80 (chiller)

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Outside of the white things on the glass are any other corals, fish or invert dying? If everything is ok it could be just the clown didn't make it for some reason or another. How long did you have the clown for and was it getting enough to eat also was it just any of the corals as anemone, a coral may have stung it.

Michael

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: