• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey Everyone,

Just curious if you can quarantine a 5 inch fish in a standard 10 gallon tank for 4-5 weeks or would it be best to fill up my 40 breeder again?

Also I always have a sponge filter in my sump can I only use that for filtration in the QT with ayer changes or should i put on an AC 70 that I have lying around as well?

Thanks

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Bad idea IMO. A 40 breeder is a better choice, but you need some sort of established tank or at least cured live rock to house nitrifying bacteria. Ammonia or nitrite swings will have the opposite effect you are looking for by QTing a fish.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Still good amount of fish, have to do all at once? Maybe set up the 40 and the 10 if your ordering them from someplace. Keeping sponge filter in sump should do the trick for you as long as it's cycled and long enough in sunp

Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey it was actually just for one fish, a blue face angel with what looks to be like white fuz on its eyes, I'm assuming some kind of fungus...however I now received a call my cousin who has had his tank up and running for years just literally started to have an outbreak of ick. He recently had a baby, not even 2 months old yet so he even told me he hasn't had the time to commit as much as he did prior to the baby. So i was thinking if we can get a hold of his fish maybe quarantine them all together to protect the fish in his tank that aren't sick?

So basically it would be a 40 breeder with some rocks/spongefilter from my sump as well as an AQUA Clear 70 (not cycled, more for mechanical) as quarantine.

Would that be ok for this stock:

-Blue Face Angel 4-5 inch
-Purple Tang 3-4 inch
-Jawfish 2-3 inch

^Thats guaranteed, he says his three clowns which are about an inch or 2 each look like they are coming down with something, but is unsure. I will try to visit tomorrow to give him a hand.

Do you guys think I would be able to successfully quarantine them in a 40 breeder?
How should the water change schedule be like for quarantine tank?
Also I have prazipro and seachem cupramine..which should I dose?
Also I will feed mysid with selcon, like I do normally for my fish

Thanks for any tips or suggestions

lrasser

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
That's a lot of fish even for a 40g. It will stress them and cause the illness to get worse. If he has ich in his DT treating them but not allowing that tank to go fishless for 6-8 weeks won't do much. Once you return the fish to the tank they will get ich again. Setup up both tanks and separate them between the two.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: