• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I have a plug with a three headed acan frag on it. The rock that the plug is so nicely fit into has recently come in contact with a GSP colony that is making its way across the rock. I was wondering what will happen when the two corals meet... Will the GSP cover and kill the acan heads, or will the acan remain?

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
I don't believe it will "kill" the acans but it may grow around it and prevent it from growing all corals compete for space . it will be an experiment let us know how it works out lol

neker

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Yes, it will definitely kill your scans, my stared as a little frag and now is like 9" by 10" and grew over my strawberry shortcake acropora, it looks beautiful with the water movement but you have to be careful, I will post mine tonight to try to sell it because I'm going with SPS only.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Yes, it has a high potential to kill your acan. It can grow to fully surround the other corals and then as the GSP fronds get larger it can also sting/irritate other corals. Either way, it also restricts the growth of the other coral if it cannot outcompete for space.

I'd rather my corals not have to fight that kind of battle. Esp. considering the cost difference in GSP (usually free to $5) vs an acan or most other corals.

I have experienced this and since then gave away the large mats of GSP I had and keep my GSP isolated to ONE frag disc that sits on a patch of sand. It is hard to kill so even when my wrasses cover it in sand for a couple of days, it still is right as rain when it gets unearthed.

I keep it around for nostalgic purposes.

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I know all too well about how gsp can spread all over and take over. In the last 8 years, I've always kept my gsp isolated as you're all saying. I carelessly let a rock get too close and it made the jump. My question was only about what would happen when the two species met. The gsp will certainly trimmed back and re-isolated to its one rock.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: