bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I have always had a problem with high nitrates & have done more reading than I would have liked trying to find a way to lower them. Nitrates routinely tested at 20ppm hitting up to 40ppm right before a water change.

I did 15 gal wcs almost every week. Even right after a wc nitrates would still test 10ppm. I credited this to heavy feeding of my fish. I had a SeaClone skimmer which I used maybe 1 time a week, then I stopped using it completely & relied on wcs.

Last week I got a Remora & started running it full time. Tonite is the night before a wc & nitrates tested 0!!!! Can it be true? Wow. The Remora is still in break in mode but still pulling out dark stuff. It was every bit worth the $65 I paid for it.

55 gal AGA, AC 801ph, mj1200ph, 50lbs lr, 60lbs ls, moderately stocked softies & some lps, coperband, potters angel, hippo tang, cleaner shrimp, misc snails & hermits, purple reef lobster (emerald crab was found dead yesterday then disappeared today).

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Thanks man, I got the SeaClone as part of the setup I bought but I have heard nothing but good things about the Remora, so I said when I found one cheap I would get it.

Now, I think I should have just bought it at full price just to have had it.

ReeferGoneMad

I Smoke Live Rocks
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
good for u. but as a reminder there is no such thing as zero nitrates. but keeping it undetectable will be super beneficial to any coral in ur tank. Keep up the good work and good luck

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Update:

Previously I had been shaking the solutions violently (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Test Kit, Nitrate Test) when I was getting high readings.

It wasn't until I did as the picture shows on the instructions to invert the test vial & solutions bottles for the specified amounts of time, I started getting near zero readings.

So I did a test, first tested using the inverting method. Zero nitrates.

Second, shaking violently. Nitrates tested about 15.

What to do, what to do. Do I go by the results after doing exactly as the directions seem to instruct? Or does the higher readings when shaking violently make a difference?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: