Rating - 100%
98   0   0
just received a Jebao rw8 (up to 2000 gal/hr) and set it up to make a standing wave in the tank, by adjusting the on/off period I can create a 2 inch wave in my 65gal standard glass tank.
However, its on a open iron frame and I noticed some movement, so I placed a glass of water on the hood and a ruler up there also, with the ruler touching the wall.
As suspected, the tank was swaying 1mm to and form the wall, with the wave, so I changed the period, pushing the frequency out of sync, thus stopping the nice wave action.

SO I know iron is strong and my open strand flexes. If I were to lean on the tank, it will move, because it doesn't have any cross braces.

Should this tiny motion be a warning to me or is it within normal limits?

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Sounds like a issue. When I set my tank up (180) I noticed when I filled it for a test run when I walked the tank bounced around so I bolted the frame of the tank with lag bolts from my 2x6 frame of the stand to the studs in my wall. I used 4 lag bolts and had to put some wood in between the stand and wall to creat a solid area so when I tightened the bolts it didn't get pushed up on a angle. Worked out perfect. Maybe you can do something similar

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Quick pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 275
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
ah, a carpenter's solution and a good one. Reinforce the base like you would a bookshelf or dresser. Unfortunately for me, the iron stand only has two thin 1 inch legs facing the wall, the position is fixed, since everything is up and running and my walls are cinderblock. Maybe a tough challenge for me.

I'm more interested in the strength and flexibility of iron.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
There's no danger of the stand collapsing, its just the basic open frame iron stand sold everywhere. I'm just checking on the strength, but I'm guessing it wasn't designed to sway. If I were to weld 45 degree triangles onto the legs and platform, that would give it plenty of strength, but alas its one of the cheapest stands out there. Next time I'll get something sturdier. Till then I wont be able to get the full potential out of my wave maker.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Thanks for all the engineering advice, but that's all beyond what I'm capable of. I'm going to have to surrender to the realities of my situation. Not wave compatible.
My next tank on the other hand is going to have refugium, algae scrubber, frag area/ denitrifier/ GFO/bio pellets/ skimmer/ blah blah and be WAVE maker compatible.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: