• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Opinions about dark rest period for corals.
Does it really matter if corals have totally dark resting periods?
I notice that alot of my corals don't close up entirely because of ambient light during the day, like most people my lights come on when I'm home after work. Can this affect coral growth and health? Would it be advantageous to setup a black curtain around your tank daily? (It wouldn't matter if the lights came on since it is only for viewing)

Any opinions on this matter?

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
While the dark period of photosynthesis is when sugars are being synthesized, I don't think that the indirect lighting that your talking about will prevent that. How's your growth? and how much light are you talking about penetrating the tank during the day?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
inline u bring up a good point man... i wonder if the light shining in from my sliding doors has a negative affect in anyway lets say it somewhat stops the corals from (as solbby said) synthesizing the sugars ... its not completely lit up but u can tell the light shining into the tank.. solbby ur expertise is always welcome...

Last edited:

DonCisco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Now I am confused. Are we talking about leaving the lights off during the day? or is it about the light during the evening? And... does a small amount of light really make that much of a difference. I have my nano in my bedroom, so does that mean I cannot read before going to bed?

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
While the dark period of photosynthesis is when sugars are being synthesized, I don't think that the indirect lighting that your talking about will prevent that. How's your growth? and how much light are you talking about penetrating the tank during the day?

My growth is ok some corals have incredible growth while others are extremely slow ex. my lobo (not sure if it naturally grows slow).
Others should be fast but are somewhat average growth.

The ambient light I get into my tank is enough to cause the corals not to close up completely like at night. So were talking about 6-7 hrs of coral "sleep" because of my lighting schedule.

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Now I am confused. Are we talking about leaving the lights off during the day? or is it about the light during the evening? And... does a small amount of light really make that much of a difference. I have my nano in my bedroom, so does that mean I cannot read before going to bed?

Lights off during the day, ambient light entering your reef tank can cause the corals to stay open either all the way or partly.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: