deelucky

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
ok so as many know i started my parents 125,anyway its been now 3 days and no signs of anything as far as ammo,trites,trates.so my question is should i let play out a few more days or should i start a cycle with some raw shrimp?.besides the LS we got from lfs there is about 50-60 lbs of LR which i got from scar's tank.any info would be great thanks.

Psycho graphic

Trouble Maker!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Put a raw shrimp in the tank and monitor your ammonia levels daily, once you see a rise in it take the shrimp out. If within a day your levels go back to "0" and stay there (Ammo and 'trites) you have bacteria colonies at least somewhat established. You should then be able to procede with caution. This method has worked for me in the past.

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
the less time there is for die off on the rock, the less likely you'll get a long cycle. By this i mean. If your rock goes from one tank to another quickly, you may not see a cycle.

but, what are you using the test your water?

dont forget 125g is a lot of water, i'd give it a few more days to a week just to make sure

I'm not a fan of the raw shrimp, if you leave it in to long you will just prolong your cycle.

mgchan

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I echo Marrone, with the LS and the LR, which you got from Scar's tank, you may not need to worry about it cycling.

Did you also add some water from your tank? If so, that would've also helped.

deelucky

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
i plan on adding sand from my tank along with some water this week and i agree that 60lbs isnt enough but i will continue to moniter and adjust as needed,or cycle with uncured LR.thanks all.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: