Psycho graphic

Trouble Maker!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
After my recent disaster I though I would start monitoring my tank more. I recieved a Salifert Alk test kit and found my Alk was very low. I mixed up some Baking Soda as per the directions on Reef Videos 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons of BS per gallon of water, I added about 1/3 of a half gallon container and tested after about 3hrs.. Now I can't get a reading at all. I then tested my mix and added more than 2ml of the reagent and Istill get no color change of the BS/water mix. What am I doing wrong?

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
......Now I can't get a reading at all. I then tested my mix and added more than 2ml of the reagent and Istill get no color change of the BS/water mix. What am I doing wrong?

With your tank water, what did you mean by not getting a reading? Did you mean the color did not change from blue to pink? If so, you alk is way too high. As far as your BS/water mix, like marrone said, why bother, the alk is so high that you will need to add a sh!t load of reagent to get it to change color.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
1st off by testing alk alone ur not really doing much.. if your other levels are off such as calcium, and magnesium ur gonna have a tough time getting alk to stabalize and stay there.... what i recc. you do is redo the alk test 1st on ur new salt water and then on ur tank... make sure to completely clean the vial u put the water into to test before and after testing... and also get yourself a salifert magnesium and calcium test kit before you add any more BS....

by not getting a reading its either ur alk is way to high or ur doing something wrong testing..

here is a link for the DIY 2 part additive alk and cal...

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

the 1st recipe for the BS is if you have a low ph and want to make the ph higher (you bake the baking soda for 1 hour @ 350-400F)

the 2nd recipe is if you have a higher ph and dont want that ph going any higher... (what i use)

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: