brattramp

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm about to retrofit my 48" canopy with new metal halides.

What are your favorite ballasts, reflectors and bulb brands?

On a related matter, Reef Fantasy at Staten Island apparently uses a ballast with a built-in dimmer for its MiH. Anyone know what ballast that is (Coralife?), and whether it works well?

Thanks!

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If you have 48" to ply with go with Lumenarcs. You can fit 2 of them in there. If you use 14k or higher bulbs you dont even need any actinic supplementation.

As far as ballasts go there are quite a few of them that work very well. Since I personally prefer double ended (de) bulbs over single ended (se) bulbs I am currently using a magnetic ballast. I got a kit from specialty lights http://www.specialty-lights.com/al500hqi.html The reefoptix III reflectors are available used quite frequently.

There are a few electronic ballasts that are capable of firing de bulbs such as the Icecap MH250. That in conjunction with the new Icecap pendants and you got a really nice setup.

As far as dimming goes, it is quite cheap nowadays to get dimming solutions for T5 lights but for metal halide dimming the solutions are still very expensive and most dimmers will shorten the life of your bulb quite drastically.

Currently the only reliable MH dimmer on the market is produced by Sfiligoi. They have an all in one controller and ballast which does the job quite well. Unfortunately each ballast will set you back over a grand. Then there is the light itself.

ElOS has another unique solution. Their pendant has color changing filters. That too will set you back several grand.

HTH
Herman

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have a Blueline electronic dual 175W MH ballast tat i am very happy with.
It's currently running 2x 10K aqualine bulbs. The light is a little yellow on its own, but i have two Actinics to blue up the colour a bit. I will be going with 14K lights nect time.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: