Alexnyc22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a JBJ ATO hooked up to my tank but recently got an apex for my system as well. I was wondering what everyones input is on one or the other. Should i stick with my JBJ or sell it and get the breakout box for my Apex and control it through there? I am leaning more towards the Apex since i can control it from anywhere but the JBJ hasnt failed me yet. I would appreciate everyones input on the matter and theyre experience with it if theyve used either or. Thank you!

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I also have the JBJ but decided to go with the breakout box. I did used the float switches supplied with the JBJ. IT worked out good for me because the Apex was able to shut down the ATO when my apex Dose does the daily water change. I also like to have control of the ATO on my phone. If my ATO float switch hangs up and triggers my second warning/emergency shutoff switch, I will get a text from Apex. I then can shut down my ATO through my phone/fusion and check on it when I get home.

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
How did you use the JBJ float switches on the apex? And where did you plug the pump for the ATO into?

I just cut the plug off the float switch and wired them into the breakout box. I then used one of my outlets on my apex energy bar 8 for the pump. I then told the apex
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
If Sw2 OPEN Then OFF
Defer 002:00 Then ON
If Time 17:00 to 21:05 Then OFF

I use SW2 as a safety shut off and I put the defer 2 so it I put my hand in the water or any other movement in the water other then it needing to be topped off it won't kick on the ATO. IT will have to register needing water for 2 minutes before it comes on.
the 17:00 to 21:05 is when the Dose does my daily water change and I don't want it to turn on during that time.

Alexnyc22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cut the plug off the float switch and wired them into the breakout box. I then used one of my outlets on my apex energy bar 8 for the pump. I then told the apex
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
If Sw2 OPEN Then OFF

I use SW2 as a safety shut off and I put the defer 2 so it I put my hand in the water or any other movement in the water other then it needing to be topped off it won't kick on the ATO. IT will have to register needing water for 2 minutes before it comes on.
the 17:00 to 21:05 is when the Dose does my daily water change and I don't want it to turn on during that time.

Brilliant! Only bad part is that my JBJ will be useless if I do that haha. I've been looking at getting float switches but I can't find any with a mount on them already and I like the JBJ float valves! Decisions decisions! Definitely doing that though and looking to see if I can get replacement float switches!

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I was in the same boat. My JBJ was new never used in box. I decided to use the float switches because I trusted them. I figured I can always bless somebody with the JBJ ATO in the future if they should need one. They would just have to buy the switches.

lrasser

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Great choice. Apex has a lot more adaptability and safety features that can be used. This is how i program mine. This allows no more then 3 gallons a day as a safety. Also shuts off when ato tank runs low or secondary safety on sump is triggered.

Set OFF
Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/002:00/058:00 Then ON
If Switch6 OPEN Then OFF
If Switch5 OPEN Then OFF
If Switch3 OPEN Then OFF

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hi Alex, no problem. I hooked up my breakout box to my apex via cable supplied. It will then show up on your apex fusion as 6 switches. I then set up my float switches in my sump. I used the second one as a backup, set a little higher. Then I took one wire from my float switch 1 and connect it to l1 on my breakout box (cut wire if needed) Then I did the same for float switch 2 and connect it to l2 on my breakout box. The remaining 2 wires were connected to the GND on my breakout box. I then Decided what outlet on my energy bar 8 I will be using for the ATO pump. After I figured that out I then went into the outlet I decided on my fusion and program it.
I used Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
If Sw2 OPEN Then OFF

Then I plugged my pump into the dedicated outlet on my 8 bar
This is how I did it. I am sure there is probably may other ways. This seems to be working good for me. Just make sure you set the float switches correctly to the the open and closed. I tested mine before I hooked up the pump
I hope this Helps bud

Last edited:

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
yes, both wires are the same. You can use the Black as the ground. As far as RSV, from what I remember RSV is for "reserved". It simply means it doesn't do anything, but they've left it there for (potential) future use.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: