jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Ok so Im ready to pull my hair out already. I am running a NC12 with a Maxijet 900 in place of the stock pump. For some reason I constantly get microbubbles. I have tried everything from making sure the pump is completely submerged in the third chamber, making sure the tube is fitted tightly, to taking apart the pump to make sure the impeller has nothing stuck on it. Nothing seems to help and its driving me crazy already. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem ?

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
What scarf said is true, in time the tank will get all the pipes slimed on which reduces the bubbles. I still have this on going problem myself even after my break in preiod so this is what I did.
I put a large poly sponge on my return pump to filter out the bubbles and debris (this must be cleaned periodically). Then I took another filter pad rather large and put it over my return section at the top so the bubbles from the other skimmer section would not flow to the bottom of that section. Now my tank is bubble free.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
OK so in the JBJ cubes you have three chambers in the rear. The first one ( where the water flows into ) was where i put filter floss but I took that out in the hopes that out because I thought maybe it was slowing the water flow too much and that caused the water level to drop in the pump chamber allowing air to get sucked into the pump ( hasnt helped ). The second chaber is where I have a polyfilter and the heater. The third chamber is where the pump is. I had placed a piece of poly over the pump intake but it didnt help. I want to get fish in this week but I am afraid that doing so while having so many microbubbles is a problem because I read that they can cause an embolism. The tank was set up in the beginning of August. Should it still be producing microbubbles?

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Reseal the seals between the glass and the back portion of the tank, alot of people running the nano's get that problem where MB's come out due to vibration in the tank where the glass meets the plastic back. Are the microbubbles coming from the pump itself? Sit there and watch the return into the tank and see if you see any popping out.

and loosen up the spacing between the carbon (if you got it) in the second chamber or the sponge. Might just be up against the opening on the bottom preventing the flow to the 3rd chamber. had that problem when i had microbubbles in my jbj.

Edit: from what i read on nano-reef and all the forums for nano's, the major problems people have tht cause microbubbles is:

The seal between the glass and the plastic back, loose fitting on the tube from the pump to the return head, a crack or puncture in the tube itself, restriction in flow to the 3rd chamber (low water creates a whirlpool effect inside and pulls air into the pump). and the pump needs to be on the bottom of the 3rd chamber, specially in the 12g since its so small. pump might be too strong for it.

Last edited:

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Well the mb's are coming from the return opening ( not from any gaps between the plastic and the glass ). I am going to see if teflon tape around the joint between the tube and the exit hole will help. As far as adding a tube the intake of the pump, I just dont see where there is room in the chamber. The pump is on the bottom of the chamber. i dont have carbon ( and no long use the filter floss ) in any of the chambers. At this point I only have a heater and poly in the second chamber. I took out the floss from the first chamber thinking it was reducing the flow to the third chamber but it hasnt made a difference. These nanocubes are so damn frustrating. Had I known about these all in one problems I would never have bought one and just done everything from scratch with a plain 10 or 20 gallon tank...oh well. but for now this is what i Have to deal with.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
well thats what was the problem at one point but I added some more water and lowered the skimmer comb so the pump is completely submerged at all times. Other than that I dont know what else I can do. BTW is your SN what I think it is?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: