lazyreefer

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Over the weekend I was plumbing my returns and overflows. I was stupid and did not check all the bulkheads for leaks by the overflow and guess what happend... it started to leak bad. after a quick phone call to Ronan, I seems liek I had my rubber gasket the wrong way, I had it outside of the tank. so after cutting all the connections, I put the rubber gasket inside the tank. It seem to hold the water well this time but this morning when I went ot chek the tank, it started to leak again very very slowly. arrggg I am about to kick this tank to the curb.... any ideas why this is happening? I thightened as much as I can.

the bulkhead is the regular 1" and 3/4" for a aga aquarium. I was able to find additonal gasket at homedepot for the 1" bulkheads so I put the rubber gasket on both side (inside and out). It seems like the only one of the bulkhead is leaking the 1" one on the right. I will try to tighten the 1" bulkhead a bit more but I am afraid of breaking it. should I use silicone?

Any ideas you guys can share?

TIA

Psycho graphic

Trouble Maker!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
When tightening a bulkhead DO NOT let the bulkhead turn at all. Hold the bulkhead firmly and tighten the nut only. If you allow the bulkhead to turn once it starts to tighten up you distort the gasket, which can allow it to leak. I'm not saying this is your problem, but it is a tip to keep in mind. Can you see exactly where on the fitting it is leaking?

lazyreefer

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I will check when I get home tonight. BUt I made sure that there was no sand or dirt under the gasket. I guess the besthing to do for now is to loosen and re-tighten the bulkhead right?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: