thepudge

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi, I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that the zoos in my tank aren't opening all the way and my yellow polyps, of all things, look a little under the weather.. I also have a pipe organ that is doing fine but may be a little less open than it normally is. My SPS are fine, my lobo and trac brain are fine, my froggies are normal. I've read that zoos are a good indicator of water quality, but for the life of me i can't figure out what is wrong.

Alk: 9.3
Calcium ~ 380
Nirtrates - 0
Phosphates - undetectable with my crappy kit
Ammonia - 0
Temp - 78-80
I've started stepping up water changes, but I can't figure out what's annoying my zoos and polyps. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Alex

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
if it's primarily zoos, i would check for zoa pox(white pimples). if you can remove the zoos from the tank i would do a fw dip for a couple mins. look for nudibranch eggs close to this formation (@)

i water change will help too.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Could be one of many zoa' predators (speghetti worms, sundial snail, etc.)
Go to zoaids.com and check out their list and pics of zoa's predators.

I was unfortunate enough to have the zoa pox, but I rigoriously singled out all other possibilities before treating the zoa's for zoa pox. I wouldnt recommend that you assume you have zoa pox straight from the get-go. Did you recently purchase any wild colonies of zoa's?
Also, try an iodine dip.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: