evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Brand new setup

I just added about 40gallons of ro/di water and was in the process of mixing my salt in the tank while I am finishing up my plumbing. The only thing I really had in there was my BRS tonga rock.

I had my RW8 on full blast so water movement was good enough.

In less than 2 days my water went foul, smelled like something died and water looked real dirty. Luckily I didn't put too much brand new salt.

I am guessing it is the Tonga rock that caused the smell. I didn't rinse it before hand. Yeah I got it in the desired aquascape so I was impatient.

Anyone bought Tonga rock from BRS and have this happen? I am pretty sure that was the cause of my issue but a little surprised it caused that bad of a smell vs dirty water.

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I recently setup my new system with BRS dry tonga. I cured it for 2 weeks in a tote with a pump and heater. I also added nite out and special blend while I was curing the rock. There was a foul odor and some nastiness that came off the rock.
ebc0d219ba412a975c21e0c6199015f8.jpg

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I only mix salt in the display on the initial water setup as it would be a pain to mix 80+ gallons in 5 gallon jugs first.

It was brs Tonga dry. I should have done what brklyn reef did first as I wasted too much good rodi water and some salt.

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I would keep the rock in the tank as it is. Run the system with carbon and skim and it should be fine. I would also use some bacteria additive to jump start the cycling. What are you using to cycle the tank. Any LR or sand?

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Yes it is. When ordering tonga from BRS I would call customer service and let them know exactly what you are looking for they are happy to work with you. My first order from them was less impressive. BRS has awesome customer service and they sent me the piece I previously posted. This is what the first order looked like.
5086d957845ee9a5e42ae8fc4b94dbc7.jpg

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
I kept 125 lbs of the dried BRS Tonga Branch rock soaked in old tank water with a running power head for several months before adding it to my cube tank. I kept changing out the water the branch rock was sitting in when I did a water change on my reef system.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Yes it is. When ordering tonga from BRS I would call customer service and let them know exactly what you are looking for they are happy to work with you. My first order from them was less impressive. BRS has awesome customer service and they sent me the piece I previously posted. This is what the first order looked like.
5086d957845ee9a5e42ae8fc4b94dbc7.jpg

Some of my show pieces 18+" broken during transport. I dry fitted several of the broken pieces and then used plenty of cyanoacrylate and glued back several of the pieces so that it had it's natural look back again.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I don't have that option. I am way too impatient to wait that long with no other rock readily available for rock work.

Yeah, that first order looks like poop.

I got some decent pieces from my order. I was happy with it. I am hoping to get lucky again when I place my next order. Need a few more pieces and another shelf piece.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: