[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question

Im going to setup my 72Bow soon, been thinking about figi/marshal rocks in the tank, but would be nice to have some space/ground area to swim around however. Im trying to avoid the 'stuffed with rock and corals' look.

is there any type of 'minimum' amount of rock that one should have? and on that note.. I assume the more surface area on the rock the better.. so what is the most porous / your fav?

[ July 27, 2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: [JWS]wasabi ]

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even if you line up the LR in the back the bow should give you ample room in the center for fish navigating. if you position the rock (or cherry pick the rock) you could sculpt it into passageways too.

if you have the time i would scour the lfs for dry/bleached fiji. i've been hitting hanover pet for nuked fiji centerpiece rocks and re-curing them for base rock. or you could just use lava of tufa for the base.

triggerboy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the 1 lb per gallon range, although I have a bit more in my 55... I'd actually suggest ordering (2) 45 LBS boxes of live rock from someone like Walt Smith or something of the sort. I ordered a few months ago from the "old" FFExpress, 165 a box (delivered overnight)for 45 lbs of Figi... you really can't beat that even locally. If you went with 90 LBS of rock in your tank, it should fill it real nice... and if you get a few pieces that aren't wonderful or you feel it's a bit too much just drop the left over in your sump.

J.

A

apparent

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send me pictures when its all setup!!!And may I recommend you get your rock from harboraquatics.com they have the best rock I have ever seen and great people to work with. I have gotton live rock from MANY places and these guys have the best, I never recieve broken up pieces of rock and the growth on the rock is incredible take a look at this picture

http://www.harboraquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HA&Category_Code=LR

See that big picture in the center my rock I recieved from them basically looked like that when I recieved it from them full of life!! And I never had nitrates/nitrites/ammonia spikes in my tank even while it cycled everything remained at 0! I would personally go with fiji since it has the best filtration IMO, Erik I got a nano setup with rocks I got from them I will be more then happy to show you what it looks like ;] I know getting some crappy rock can really ruin your day, I've been there but you won't be disappointed if you get it from these guys

[ July 31, 2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: apparent ]

A

apparent

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've heard good things about that place as well, Florida rock isn't my thing though too heavy and doesn't have as many interesting shapes as the fiji, also if your lookin for some nice marshall island premiumaquatics.com has some nice stuff

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: