Todd31

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
the one mag test kit I tried was red sea and the results were VERY erratic. Followed procedures, cleaned vials, etc. 1550, 1340, 1520... back and forth... then I suspected the dropper for one of the liquids was defective and not consistent. When I contacted their customer service, they weren't helpful.

So I'm curious about a good mag test also....

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
the one mag test kit I tried was red sea and the results were VERY erratic. Followed procedures, cleaned vials, etc. 1550, 1340, 1520... back and forth... then I suspected the dropper for one of the liquids was defective and not consistent. When I contacted their customer service, they weren't helpful.

So I'm curious about a good mag test also....

Someone else suggested Red Sea for Mag. Let see...

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I find Red Sea pretty consistent for both.

*note for the Mag.
The #1 (A), solution is not emulsified. You need to shake it well for 15 sec. Between EACH drop added. And then swirl the vial for 15 sec. After each drop as well, before proceeding.

Last edited:

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
No problems with Red Sea here... I really like everything about the Red Sea line of test kits. They're in a solid, plastic case, the reference cards are laminated for longevity, the droppers are fairly accurate and sealed to avoid spills and the way they're handheld, allows for sturdy testing. I have the full line and can only say the ones I'm not crazy about are the Nitrate/Phosphate visual color comparison test. The Iodine test is read in a similar way. BUT... As far as Mag and Ca goes, the tests have been accurate and the equipment has been the sturdiest and most well made for longevity. They make a reef basics set, I think they call it, which has Ca, Alk and Mag all in one, that you can find fairly reasonably prices at the LFS usually, or on eBay for around $40. Kits are made to last for a while and resist water. All just my experience though.

imcrazyy0

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm back to salifert for everything.

I just want to say the the Red Sea line is a big waste of money I always been using salifert test kits and a friend got me to buy the red sea test kits and they r about five month old and they are way off and it was confirmed with the triton test I just got back so thanks for this thread I wanted to get this off my mind!!!!!!!

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
Been using red sea for everything but they about to expire. I just received few kits from Salifert but might go with everything on salifert.

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Salifert all the way. I have Red Sea and the syringes do not draw up anywhere as reliably as the saliferts do. That being said I do really like the titration holder that comes with the Red Sea kit. I use the salifert reagents and syringes and use the titration handle and vials that came with the Red Sea kit. The salifert syringes almost always draw up at a perfect .85 ml with the plunger at 1.0 ml. This makes me feel my results are far more consistent than with the Red Sea kit. I have done several side by side comparisons and the readings are fairly close. Be careful with the gradient markings on the salifert syringes they wear off easily. Someone on here suggested using some clear tape over the gradients to preserve them. I got some BD medical grade ones that I use as well. I think overall for alk cal and mag both Red Sea and Salifert make decent products. I still prefer the saliferts.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: