BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Hello, after all the great feedback on the last thread of keeping our tanks a certain temperature vs the (73-86*f) temperature swings in the ocean I have new topic:
Whats everybody's thoughts about the fish we keep in regards to the depths they are naturally found in the ocean. For example MOST tangs are naturally found anywhere from 0-10 meters (about 30 feet) below surface and triggerfish have gone as deep as ten times that. Corals too. Nobody I know has a tank that deep so does anybody think that a fish used to that kind of pressure, or the ability to use some types of muscles that help it adapt to pressure changes have any effect at all on the things we have.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
To answer your question. I do not believe that depth/pressure is a variable that we really have to worry about related to fishes health.

Why? Look at the multiple examples of the named species/fish that you mentioned then look at great examples of growth in the home aquaria from RC/R2R etc. You can see that health fish are based on a lot of other factors and depth of tank had little to do with it.

The recommended tank is based on size, waste produced and ample swimming space for that particular fish.

A friend of a friend had a ~45-60g tall tank with a 12-14" angel and a 12+" hippo tang. I am not saying this was right at all. I believe it was wrong on all levels but he grew them out from no more than 3-4". Very healthy but very minimal swimming space.

So I think as long as you have a proper setup then these fish will grow and grow health.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
most fish im gunna say above the 300' mark shouldnt have a problem as long as the ones at the bottom of that depth are brought up over a couple hours, for the most part of what a common aquarist considers a deep water fish will most likely be shy to bright light at first but thats about it anything past that is usually out of the common aquarists list of fish to get. fish greater than 4-500 feet need to be brought up over a very long period of time and some are even brought up in pressurized chambers owned by a select few. even after being successfully brought to surface some will have complications such as a form of popeye or a swim bladder issue. if not treated with a pressure chamber or a very precise and very hard swim bladder puncture surgery the fish will most likely die. for the most part of what a common aquarist considers a deep water fish will most likely be shy to bright light at first but thats about it

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: