piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
All of a sudden I got a lot of passion for Wrasses. Never pay much attention to wrasses. But I picked up two more and the colors are beautiful. I now have Splendid Leopard Wrasse,Melanurus Fairy Wrasse, Red Head Fairy Wrasse, African Exquisite Fairy Wrasse. Yellow Wrasse, What is your favorite wrasse? Another winner is Scotts Fairy Wrasse.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Pat,
I've never been able to keep the Scotts Fairy long term. I have tried variants of Fiji, Australia, Polynesian and Cooks Island. Longest survivor was an Aussie variant for about 13 months. What I can't keep might be my favorite but I also have gotten the wrasse fever in which I totally ignored them for 3 decades.
My mini collection spread over a few tanks are:
SM Lineatus (cirrhilabrus) x 2
SM Labouti (cirrhilabrus)
M Pink Margin (cirrhilabrus)
Whipfin (cirrhilabrus)
F Yellow Tail Tamarin (anampses)
Radiant (halichoeres)
Yellow Coris (halichoeres) x 2
Two Tone (halichoeres)
M Red Sea Eight Line (paracheilinus)
Filimented (paracheilinus)
Sixline (pseudocheilinus)
F Meleagris Leopard (macropharyngodon) x 2
F Splendid Leopard (macropharyngodon) x 2
F Ornate Leopard (macropharyngodon) x 2
F Black Leopard (macropharyngodon)
F Potters Leopard (macropharyngodon)

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Pat welcome to the wrasse addiction. I have about 25-30 different species including Flashers, Fairies, Leopards, Tamrins and Halicoeres species. The wrasses that catch everyone's eyes when they see my tank are my largest my male H. Richmondi, male H. Leucurus and male M. Ornatus. All are about5-6"...

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Warren, these two are expensive wrasses. SM Lineatus (cirrhilabrus) & Labouti(cirrhilabrus). Both are beautiful but I like Lineatus....a lot

Pat,
My love affair with the Liney is over. I had 4 at one time, 2 each in 2 different tanks and as each had a dominant male flourish into a SM, they become quite nasty and will leave you with one Liney in each tank. Labouti is also quite aggressive for a fairy wrasse when they become super males, had to move that guy a few times already.
Leopards are my main attraction now but they are very iffy. 2 months ago I bought a 3.5" Chaoti and it literally died within 6 hours of introduction. Also have had many a Leopards that never ate for weeks and the occasional one that didn't last the night.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Pat welcome to the wrasse addiction. I have about 25-30 different species including Flashers, Fairies, Leopards, Tamrins and Halicoeres species. The wrasses that catch everyone's eyes when they see my tank are my largest my male H. Richmondi, male H. Leucurus and male M. Ornatus. All are about5-6"...

Mike,
That's quite an impressive amount of wrasses in your 170g, your going to give Alfie a run for the money!
I've seen a grown Richmondi and it is an amazing fish.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mike and Warren, you guys have plenty of experience with wrasses. I have my splendid leopard for two years. He's a slow grower. Warren are they slow growers. Great eater and very tough little wrasse. Mike thats an Army of Wrasse.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
In general Pat, yes I would say that they are on the slower side in regards to growth. I've noticed that within a tank, if x-leopard is dominant or not harassed, then they will eat more and tend to grow a pinky nail faster then if they were the runt leopard within a tank. I have this scenerio with two Ornates. One grew more in a tank were it was one of the 1st leopard in, whereas the other one stayed smaller when introduced into a tank that had 2 larger established leopards already.

jvu61

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first wrasse was a 6 line .. this was before I knew any better lol .... still have him though. I did add a carp.wrasse in about a year ago. he gave him hell for about 3 weeks but in the end they made friends and live together with no problems. I would love to add some of the more exotic ones but would not chance it with the 6 line. I decided to keep the 6 line for his life time because it is not his fault I bought him and he is part of the tank family now :) not to mention he is fat happy and looks great

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I have 11 in my 65g. The Capenter is my favorite because he flases from one end of the tank to the other end all the time.
I'm looking to get a small tamarin next and that will probably be my next favorite.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Warren I noticed that too in my tank. My Leopards have a pecking order with the male Ornate ruling and keeping all the others female. My Melagris wants to turn male with starting to show some blue but has been like that for a couple of years because of the Ornate. My blue star is a slow grower also because of the other Leopards.

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423461851.687369.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: