Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Why we call ourselves reefers? We say reefing relating to our hobby instead of aquarist or marine aquarist? I have never heard anyone referee to them self in the hobby as a marine aquarits. I did a quick search on the words reefer and reefing and there was no mention of our hobby. Maybe it's there somewhere in terms of keeping corals and marine fish i'm sure but if you told someone who was unfamiliar with our hobby that you are a reefer they would look at you strangely. Should we hold fast to reefer and reefing? Or Aquarists and Marine Aquarists?

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I don't say I'm a reefer. I think most people saying that they keep or have fish or have aquariums, and then they're ask what type and you say saltwater, or African chilids ,or say you have a reef tank.

I have never heard you say you are a reefer. But what would you say if someone said, Marrone, you're a knowledgeable reefer and you've been reefing for many years. Would you say i'm not a reefer and i'm not reefing?
If we say i keep fish or i have an aquarium to someone, what would probably lead to more questions. Where as, i'm a marine aquarits or a fresh water aquarits. I'm not suggesting people change how them talk. I was just thinking...:afro:

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Funny because when I'm at work and I visit the site. I get weird looks before they realize it's for marine life vs the pothead type.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
If you look up reefing it mention nothing about corals and fish. A hobby that we embrace and spend so much time tweaking for perfection, we shouldn't borrow a word or let it be tarnished. Although i don't think that was the intent. Use a world that doesn't leave doubt in the mind of people...

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I don't use the term reefer either, but I do use the term reefing.

I think the correct term to call ourselves is marine aquarists, but I don't use it because it sounds too academic. Whenever I need to, I prefer to say marine enthusiast.

And I'm very conscious of not using the word reefer when speaking about the hobby to those who are not familiar with reef keeping.
Especially since reefer is another word for marijuana and reefers are those who use it.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
most people [at least from my era] would consider a reefer a pot user. not that theirs any thing wrong with that.
i refer to myself as a fish tank enthusiast.

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
This is an awesome thread.

Had this discussion with the wifey the other day while at a local store...... She didn't understand, yet was wanting to buy every aggressive fish and coral there.
It was suggested to go to - RA (reefers anonymous) -

aquarium hobbyist?

The rest sound either drug related or a level of education I don't comprehend.

(Although the level of chemistry knowledge you guys have in this forum could result in a few High degrees).

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
IMOP Marine Aquarists sounds like someone who is full of themselves or somone trying to impress the unknowing with a seemingly more important big word.
I could hear Thurston Howell the third from Gilligans Island saying that lol

When I was younger I worked as a Tractor trailer yard jockey which is basically someone who picks up trailers in a yard and puts them in the bay doors of a wairhouse to be loaded for over the road drivers.
We use to call our selves "Tractor Trailer Relocation Experts " ;)

P.s. I like REEFER and I also keep saltwater fish and coral in a glass box :smoker:

Last edited:

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Most of the time I say "I have a reef tank" or salt water. I think the term "reefer" or "reefing" is more among the community communicating. For instance you start talking to someone at a social event and turns out they have a tank I might say "oh a fellow reefer" or something like that. I would never say " I'm a reefer" right of the bat it would be far from understood,especially the way people jump to conclusions.also for you other type of reefers keep reefing on! Lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: