Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Guys- i am planning on transfering my 46 gallon into my new 75 g RR tank. I bought 120 lbs of Caribsea aragonite sand dry to put in my new tank. So whats the procedure? I currently have 55 lbs of live Fiji rock i will transfer into new tank. I also have some mushrooms,BTA,LTBA, kenya tree, starfish and some crabs and snails. Can i put dry sand into tank, put my live rock in and fill with water from my 46 gallon? Then add the rest of the water with RODI water and red sea salt mix? I will seed my new sand with a few cups of old sand. Can i put all my livestock into the 75 right away or do i need to wait? I have no place to keep my livestock but put in tank immediately. I am afraid tank will cycle and everything will die. Please help because i need to do this this week and have too much money invested for something to go wrong.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
You should wait a little as that sand will cycle. Get some rubbermaids if you have to break down the other one. Btw that is a lot of sand it will be 3.5" sand bed. Best to go 1-2 or deep sand bed.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I've done this more times then I care to remember lol, just transfer everything over from your old tank to your new and you'll be fine. Transfer as much of the the water over from your old tank as well as all your live rock then make fresh saltwater to fill up the remainder of your new tank making sure the salinity and ph matches the old. I wouldn't worry about the sand cycling you will over compensate with the bacteria from your live rock and old water. Good luck!

PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've done this more times then I care to remember lol, just transfer everything over from your old tank to your new and you'll be fine. Transfer as much of the the water over from your old tank as well as all your live rock then make fresh saltwater to fill up the remainder of your new tank making sure the salinity and ph matches the old. I wouldn't worry about the sand cycling you will over compensate with the bacteria from your live rock and old water. Good luck!

+1 :smile:

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
i've done this more times then i care to remember lol, just transfer everything over from your old tank to your new and you'll be fine. Transfer as much of the the water over from your old tank as well as all your live rock then make fresh saltwater to fill up the remainder of your new tank making sure the salinity and ph matches the old. I wouldn't worry about the sand cycling you will over compensate with the bacteria from your live rock and old water. Good luck!

+2

shark32

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you remember, update this after you have done your move! I would like to know what you did and how it worked out.. I am upgrading from my 75 to a 125 in a couple of months and I am nervous about the move as well. Good Luck!

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
If you stir your sand you'll see how much detritus is in your sand. Sorry but I'd wash it if you plan on Placing livestock in during the transfer. I don't know how much money you have invested but seems suspect to allow a huge nitrate spike from all the detritus and think things will be fine.

Liverock is fine but sand is where it mostly sticks. Wash it out with your old water. Most of your bacteria won't be in the water column so wash it out with old water if you intend to reuse your old sand.

Last edited:

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
If you stir your sand you'll see how much detritus is in your sand. Sorry but I'd wash it if you plan on Placing livestock in during the transfer. I don't know how much money you have invested but seems suspect to allow a huge nitrate spike from all the detritus and think things will be fine.

Liverock is fine but sand is where it mostly sticks. Wash it out with your old water. Most of your bacteria won't be in the water column so wash it out with old water if you intend to reuse your old sand.

I wont be re using my old sand I bought Caribbean Aragonite reef sand. I might just wash it and give it to my brother as he will be taking my old tank. I am transferring everything except the sand exactly for the purpose you just stated.

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
If you remember, update this after you have done your move! I would like to know what you did and how it worked out.. I am upgrading from my 75 to a 125 in a couple of months and I am nervous about the move as well. Good Luck!

I will definitely share my experience. Planning on doing this weekend just waiting for some plumbing parts to arrive and smaller items.

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
You should wait a little as that sand will cycle. Get some rubbermaids if you have to break down the other one. Btw that is a lot of sand it will be 3.5" sand bed. Best to go 1-2 or deep sand bed.

Yeah I figured it will be a lot. I'd rather have extra then not have enough. I wont go more than 2 inches. I could always sell the extra. I can stick some in my refugium too.

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0

Great news! This is what I will do. If really need be I can keep some water in my 46 and keep my livestock in there for a few days. Its just that I really don't have the room for two tanks my wife will flip if she sees that in the living room.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: