BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
yea, i did get some more hermit crabs for them to scavange but i haven't got a chance to get sand sifting stars, and i need some other for the sand bed maybe you can recommend. so maybe i will put an order in.

I wish I could recommend more..I figure this stuff out as I go along! Truthfully Ive never heard of anybody's snails starving to death so I interpret that as you can never have enough...small hermits too. Today I bought 20 each snails and hermits. I have a diatom bloom recently as well.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
My situation is likely different from yours but I'll add anyway:
I have an 80g DD frag tank, I use the 150 gyre. I had to remove my sand in order to use the gyre because even on 20% the top layer began to swirl and eventually would make layers uneven.

So, I took out the large majority of my sand. The sand bed had only been .5-1" and was only 7mos old because I started the tank barebottom. I have maybe 1-2 cups of sand remaining in the tank and it's piled nicely so that my wrasses can still cover themselves at night and my cucumber has something to clean (the patches of sand exist in the deadspot right under the gyre so that's where detritus collects so it's perfect).

This is near 2wks later and everything in my tank is still fine. No cyano, no diatom bloom, etc. I was just out of town for a week and my glass still does not need cleaning.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Also, I didn't have a mini cycle from taking the sand out because I also was proactive and used special blend (bacteria dosed) well before and after in order to speed up the process to balance out my biological filtration since removing the sand, even though I only had a relatively small amount, does export more of my bacteria all at once.

I've also added more rocks to my sump to further aid biological filtration.

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Also, I didn't have a mini cycle from taking the sand out because I also was proactive and used special blend (bacteria dosed) well before and after in order to speed up the process to balance out my biological filtration since removing the sand, even though I only had a relatively small amount, does export more of my bacteria all at once.

I've also added more rocks to my sump to further aid biological filtration.

I see, well i have a 105 gallon and something is going on in my tank now since B.Bash said that it could be Dino now i think its more and more Dino, i am going to the liquor store today gonna start Vodka Dosing, any one have experience getting rid of Dino. That stuff is covering my corals i have to constantly blow it off, my clean up crew is useless even though i bought like 30 hermits for them to get at it. I did a water change yesterday siphoned the sand the sand is looking better today but the rocks and corals and zoos are covered with this film and i have to keep constantly blowing it off. I haven't fed my fish in 2 days trying to keep the nutrients down, the tangs are starting to graze on the rocks.

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_2314.JPG
    IMG_2314.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 74

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
please also see the pictures of the stuff on the sand and the corals its really annoying

Attachments

• IMG_2309.JPG
    IMG_2309.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2310.JPG
    IMG_2310.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2311.JPG
    IMG_2311.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2312.JPG
    IMG_2312.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2313.JPG
    IMG_2313.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 74

B.BASH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Tank looks great.that doesn't look like Dino. Dino looks like brown snot with bubbles at the end. You may be going through a mini cycle try special blend and don't blow it away. but you can blow it away from coralsIf they're bothered by it. if it is Dino I think hydrogen peroxide works well but be careful and follow directions

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Tank looks great.that doesn't look like Dino. Dino looks like brown snot with bubbles at the end. You may be going through a mini cycle try special blend and don't blow it away. but you can blow it away from coralsIf they're bothered by it. if it is Dino I think hydrogen peroxide works well but be careful and follow directions

Thanks for the tank comment.

But look at the other pictures there are some strings with some bubbles. but not a lot. i mean i am trying the best.

ivandrago

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Update for everyone, so i got myself 50 red mangroves and blacked out the hole tank for 3 days everything is gone the diatom or the dino what ever it was its gone. i have changed my feeding habbits from everyday to every other day. I will post pictures tonight, the water is now cristal clear.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: