SYNE89

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Hey guys,

Newbie on here had saltwater tank over 15years ago ... Want to get back into saltwater / reef .. Something not to difficult and low or maintenance free guide me in the right direction looking on starting something in less then a month. What's your thoughts on getting a red sea reefer?

Thanks for the advise....

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
More details on what you'd like to house/budget/preferences in technology etc would give us a starting point.

Red Sea reefers look like great tanks if you welcome a 20" width tank. Depending on style of rock work and desire for open space that limits you. It does come with the main needs to setup a tank. You'll end up spending more on lights - skimmer - live rock, sand, etc. Again, depending on your budget than these tanks look like they set you on the right foot for a nice tank.

If you aren't on a budget, reefoman tanks are CLEAN and always make for nice builds + custom.

SYNE89

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback I know it's not maintenance free I meant as low as possible and where to start with tank and equipment .... Been out of the game for years

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Ok, well if you want low maintenance go with an AIO but will you be satisfied or just upgrade in a year? I'd figure out what you want to keep in your tank and the requirements before investing into a tank.

SYNE89

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
space

This is the space where i'm planning on putting my tank... it measures 63in height 66in width and 18in depth.
on width i was thinking either 36 or 48...

IMG_4955.jpg

Last edited:

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
SYNE89

Welcome to MR and back to saltwater aquariums. I second what others have said above. I think its best to come up with what you would like to keep, and a budget before you start anything. That way you can make good decisions on purchasing new or used equipment, and avoid costly and messy upgrades in the future. There are plenty of great deals to be had on used equipment. Make sure you check reefer ratings, and inspect everything fully before you buy it. There are so many great honest people on here (the majority) who are willing to help out the fellow reefer. Sadly there are a small number of people looking to make a quick buck and flip broken, faulty, or otherwise tainted equipment.

SYNE89

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
BKLYNREEF123

thanks for the advise I'm brand new to reef so i'm confused on where to start posted the space i have to work with for now .. nothing to advance or real difficult for me since i'm new to reef.. so i can start at least with a tank..

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
My personal opinion is to look for used tanks in the marketplace on this forum and get some prices from a couple of LFS once you decide on how big you want to go. I started with a 95 reef ready tank and stand that I received as a gift from my Aunt. I started with live rock and then basic corals that I purchased from local reefers on this forum. I kept it super simple for 2-3 years and then went crazy and upgraded to a 150 and now I have all sorts of controllers, sensors & probes. Once you get the bug then you will go crazy also. The excitement and happiness I receive from watching the tank and compliments is unmatched by anything else. I don't have kids yet so this I love...

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
planning on putting it behind the couch? This is going to be a PITA to service the sump. You will be moving the couch constantly. Anything that is more difficult to do usually results in it being done less frequently. I have a 65 gallon tank and I really love the size. If you can fit a 48 then bigger is usually better....

SYNE89

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
yes i wanna go with a 48 and yes i was thinking about the couch but that the only place i have for the tank one other place but i can only go 36 and i have to run power

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Everyone asking what tank they should get. They should be redirected to the tank threads. There is PLENTY of inspirational tanks there. Also, if you really wanting to get fancy and look for different trends then visit Reefcentral or reef2reef tank threads. They have some really unique builds there.

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I have discouraged plenty of people from starting a salt water tank. Once you decide on the size, AIO (all in one) or regular tank, you have to sit down and do the numbers. Cost of tank, cost of equipment (skimmer, ro/di unit, lights pumps etc..) salt, liver rocks, sand etc... I am not sure what your budget is.. But its expensive... Just in equipment alone, you might be close to $1000. Before you rush into this, decide what kind of animal you want to keep, do your budget, and then start buying... DO NOT RUSH into this. Also get quality equipment and don't go the diy way with critical equipment.
Hope it helps.
Paul

SYNE89

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Thanks for the advise I changed were I'm putting the tank I'm definitely going 48 so either 75 or 90 reef ready ... I was thinking on red sea reefer! Or should I get the tank and built the stand confused on equipment too... Been out of the game over 15 years

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: