chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Hi All.
I decided to upgrade from 65G to 150G reef. i would need to do this move in one weekend. That means moving all my livestock and corals with minimal casualties. I am planing to add some LR to my current system so it will handle the new volume. I have about 70 lb of LR now. Also, I am doing SSB about 1' in a new system. Currently I have 65G mixed reef LPS dominant with 11 fish in it. HOB 5G refugium and 20G sump. Reef octopus skimmer design for 120G tank.
I am going to Red Sea Max S 650. with 20G sump and the system has no original skimmer.
Questions:
1. what skimmer do I need for the system of this volume?
2. How much LR do I need overall to handle filtration?
3. Should I transfer my Live Sand in new system?
4. Should I use RODI water that I can make or buy ocean water?
5. I will be able to transfer about 50G of water or less from my old system, but adding 125G of new water is very stressful for corals. How can I avoid this stress as much as possible.
6. Should I do aquascaping during the move or a week later when things will come down a bit. What i mean is: I will be pressed on time ones I start the transfer, and aquascaping takes time. this time will be taking a way from my fish resting it the buckets. We are probably talking hours before they will get to a new tank.

I have never done such a large upgrade and my help are not people who familiar with reefs. They can follow the lead, but that's about it.
If anybody did such a move, any advice would be appreciated.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
This is my coral list:
Bird nest red and neon green, war paint scolymia, torch, open brain, hammer, leather coral, several acans, blue tenuis, acanthastrea bowerbanki/hillae, green hydnophora, Ultra Maxima clam,couple plates, cynarina , pagoda cup, few ausy favias and brains, Zoas, red montypora, mushrooms, pulsing Xenia, different poly....

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
And this is my fish list:
Hippo tang,Sellfin tang, kole tang, yellow tang, six line wrass, long horn cowfish, blue damsel, fire angel, skunk clown, true percula clown, anthias, long nose hawk fish, fire shrimp, pepermint shrimp, huge Sebay anemone.

I need to know my weakest link so I can keep a special attention on it.
One more time, thanks to all the people who find time to help their fellow reefers.

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Do you have an RODI system? If not I would get one before you upgrade. Buying pre made water is not going to be cost effective and it will be a pain to haul it all. If you have the water mixed to the same sg and temperature the transfer should not be too stressful. I would suggest using new live sand. I would get the biggest skimmer you can fit/willing to pay for. I would have a few totes with heaters and pumps to keep your livestock in during the transfer. I would try to set the aquascape as best you can the first time around. You dont want to wait for everything to settle just to move it again. Having extra water, buckets or tote already made and to temperature is a must.

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
not sure, hopefully someone will answer thay
the rule of thumb that i know of is 1lb per actualy water volume you have over all
NO. New sand will need to go. you can move over SOME of the sand but not all of it. to much bacteria in there can cause the tank to nose dive quickly
Use RODI, its cheaper
5. I will be able to transfer about 50G of water or less from my old system, but adding 125G of new water is very stressful for corals. How can I avoid this stress as much as possible.
- Make the move a gradual process. no matter which way you cut it, the new tank will have to go through a cycle. i say make brand new water, and transfer 20g
6. Should I do aquascaping during the move or a week later when things will come down a bit. What i mean is: I will be pressed on time ones I start the transfer, and aquascaping takes time. this time will be taking a way from my fish resting it the buckets. We are probably talking hours before they will get to a new tank.

move rocks, then corals then fish

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I do have RODI system that I was planing to use. Also, in regards to send, I have SSB now which I syphone during every water change. The detritus levels are low. I guess i can go with all new send and use some of my old send just a bit to seed the new one. But wouldn't it force me to a new bacterial cycle? does the new Live sand has enough bacteria to prevent me from going in to new cycle?
Thanks.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
not sure, hopefully someone will answer thay
the rule of thumb that i know of is 1lb per actualy water volume you have over all
NO. New sand will need to go. you can move over SOME of the sand but not all of it. to much bacteria in there can cause the tank to nose dive quickly
Use RODI, its cheaper
- Make the move a gradual process. no matter which way you cut it, the new tank will have to go through a cycle. i say make brand new water, and transfer 20g

move rocks, then corals then fish

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.
I am still trying to find the way to avoid the cycle. I don't know if it is possible adding so much new water. I am afraid that new cycle will destroy my corals, and I have a lot invested in them.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Do you have an RODI system? If not I would get one before you upgrade. Buying pre made water is not going to be cost effective and it will be a pain to haul it all. If you have the water mixed to the same sg and temperature the transfer should not be too stressful. I would suggest using new live sand. I would get the biggest skimmer you can fit/willing to pay for. I would have a few totes with heaters and pumps to keep your livestock in during the transfer. I would try to set the aquascape as best you can the first time around. You dont want to wait for everything to settle just to move it again. Having extra water, buckets or tote already made and to temperature is a must.
Thank you for info.
I do have RODI system that I was planing to use. Also, in regards to send, I have SSB now which I syphone during every water change. The detritus levels are low. I guess i can go with all new send and use some of my old send just a bit to seed the new one. But wouldn't it force me to a new bacterial cycle? does the new Live sand has enough bacteria to prevent me from going in to new cycle?
Thanks.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i would reuse the sand but rinse it in tank water so you don't kill bacteria. and wash and add new dead sand cause you will need more.
when i did it i put my live stock in a big tote with rock, heater, powerhead and a filter. so i was able to take my time aqua scaping, then keep an eye on your levels for a few days.
4 or 5 days in a tote should be fine. i would hate to rush like that. GL

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
i would reuse the sand but rinse it in tank water so you don't kill bacteria. and wash and add new dead sand cause you will need more.
when i did it i put my live stock in a big tote with rock, heater, powerhead and a filter. so i was able to take my time aqua scaping, then keep an eye on your levels for a few days.
4 or 5 days in a tote should be fine. i would hate to rush like that. GL

thank you.
Did you keep corals in the tote for 4-5 days as well?

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
yes they were and i will be doing it again shortly as i am down grading to a 120. other wise i would let you borrow my 100gal rubbermaid.

I see a lot of people downgrading from large systems 200G+ To mid 100th. What's the deal. Is it so much more of a headache? Should I even think of going to 175 in a two bedroom apt whith a little kid? I am serious. Should I?

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i would say its big and over welming in a living room. it might be different in a basement, but if my tank isn't where i spend my time then i wouldn't have a tank.
i don't think its much more work, as you need the same things taken out for maintenance just more water. i felt the foot print of the 120 48x24 is not too big, nor too small. i'll see how i feel in 6 months.
personally i think a 175 is big for an apartment, but thats me.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
i would say its big and over welming in a living room. it might be different in a basement, but if my tank isn't where i spend my time then i wouldn't have a tank.
i don't think its much more work, as you need the same things taken out for maintenance just more water. i felt the foot print of the 120 48x24 is not too big, nor too small. i'll see how i feel in 6 months.
personally i think a 175 is big for an apartment, but thats me.

Thank you. I really appreciate your advice. I was having a delema about the size. I really want a larger system then 65G, but I live in a mid size two bedroom and I think 175G it would be an overkill. My tank is so crowded that I can't even stick one more frag in. So larger system is a must. I needed somebody sane to bring back my sanity. I will start looking for a good 120 system. I wish they had one with built in ATO so I don't have to place an other 10G water container next to it. Thanks again.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: