xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55gal and am basically maintaining what little corals/fish I have left until I setup my 120gal within the next few months. I was debating whether I should take some live rock out that nothing is attached to or wait. There is some unwanted Aipstasia on some of the rocks that I would need to order Joes Juice to kill, but I was wondering if its a good idea to take some of the LR out of my tank and place in a rubbermaid with fresh SW and a heater and Powerhead until I set my new one up. ANy ideas? I read about cooking the rock I really do not want to cook it. Thanks

deelucky

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
putting the Lr in rubbermaid is ok like you said with heater and powerhead for circulation and depending on how long you keep the rock in there possibly water changes as needed.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Xx,

Putting the rock into a reef environement isn't going to kill off the aptasia - even if you starved the rubbermaid bin of light, that aptasia is going to live - they are like roaches, even after a nuclear bomb, they survive.

That being said - I would plan on either cooking the rock or drying it out completely for the time you are planning to not use it and turn it into base rock. I bought 200lbs from a reefer years ago and did the same and haven't seen an aptasia since. If you're interested in the "cycle of death" that I experimented with, let me know.

Good luck

House

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: