I'm in the process of building a 80 gallon rimless reef tank (starting a thread tonight). Every picture I see usually has light bleeding coming from the LEDs. What's the best way to prevent this with a rimless system, so obviously no canopy? I'm thinking about kessils or any other LEDs around that price range.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

jnelson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Something with narrower optics would be ideal to prevent bleeding, but make sure you don't go so narrow as to create spotlighting/dark spots.

There are some people who fabricate "shutters" that they put on the sides of their fixtures also, which can reduce some of the bleed, but just be careful not to block the fixture's ventilation or otherwise interfere with its functionality.

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Love my Kessil 360WE, being said I had an issue until I lowed it to the water, its @9" off water surface now with a little spill off the back wall. Tank is 24x20x18, if it was a full 24" wide, not 18" I would get none.

If I keep it @ like 6" I dont have any. The shimmering effect is worth a bit of light spill.

I think 2- 360WE would be fine for you, just keep them lower and keep the intensity lower. I personally didn't like the narrow spectrum, very spotlight effect.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: