BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I added a pink marginal wrasse to my tank last night. I drip acclimated and fed right after introducing the fish. The wrasse ate when i fed the tank, but he was staying to the lower corner of the tank. Today my blue tang has been beating on the wrasse really bad. The wrasse has gone into hiding behind a rock and is just laying there hiding. Im wondering if anything can be done. I have thought about moving him to the sump but I think catching him and putting him down there might even stress him more. All parameters are on point 10.25 sg 78.9temp .2ppm No3. I tried feeding the tank with LRS reef frenzy and some fresh clam but the wrasse wont eat even when I place food close to where he is hiding.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
What size tank? Most wrasses don't eat for a few days anyway. Added stress is no good regardless. 50/50 Chance the bulling will stop. You may have to choose one..

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
its a 65. Any first aid for a fish super stressed out surface breathing in the sump?There are places to hide in there for him but he is haphazardly swimming near the surface. I think he may be too far gone but Im willing to do what I can for him. I feel bad.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
There is a good chance he will be fine. Let him recover in the sump until he is acting and feeding normally. If you want to try to re-introduce him to the main display, I strongly recommend an in tank acclimation box where the fish can see and be seen by its tank mates. A week or so of getting used to each other without being able to get at each other often does the trick. Sometimes, it just never works.

ReefWreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Reading this made me feel a little better.

I picked up two McCosker Flasher wrasses yesterday at Manhattan Aquarium. Drip acclimated, introduced with the lights off, and no other fish bothered them. One of them went into the rock and stayed hidden all night. The other surface breathed, freaked out, jumped around listlessly for like 30 minutes, and eventually made its way into the rock, and hasn't shown since.

MA has a 24 hour guarantee on livestock, but I'm hoping that the second wrasse is just hiding. Still hasn't come out today in the 2 hours of light they've had so far. The one wrasse who dove right into the rock is totally fine and has been out since the lights came on today.

My wife and I did a lot of research last night after having the surface breathing episode, and it sounds like wrasses are just terrible shippers, and take a while to acclimate. I'm hoping that it comes out okay after having time to acclimate more to the tank, but I'm still super nervous. I feel a lot better too seeing that none of the hermits in my tank are in the area where the wrasse that wasn't doing too well took refuge.

Good luck! I'm hoping that mine comes out of hiding safe and sound too. (my tank is a 29g but no aggressive fishes or tangs)

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Figured I would post an update. The fish is recovering in the sump. I am currently seeking a new home for my tang as he has outgrown my system. I will keep the wrasse in the sump until I find a new home for the tang.

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
c57e5d447ed22bc63ce16e27cb69813b.jpg
7235b7a9f4f714fb9537986a0a5af29a.jpg

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
So I am happy to report my Tang found a new home in a 220. I'm sure he will be much better off there. After the tang was removed I reintroduced the wrasse. He went into hiding over night, but is out and getting situated today. He is even accepting LRS reef frenzy food. I am posting some crummy video from my phone. The first is right after I transferred the fish to the sump the second is this morning after he had been reintroduced.

https://vimeo.com/122024291

https://vimeo.com/122024421

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: