drunkenclown

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
anyone near holbrook/patchogue are with the knowledge and equipment to treat sick fish? can someone please come help asap.

think its brook or velvet not too much time left. lost a yellow goby, damsel and a blue eye bristle tooth tang all in the last couple of days

here's who's left:
maroon clown
white cheek tang
puprle tang
bonde naso
damsel
anler/frogfish(in sump)

all fish are less than 3" white cheek and maroon are sickest not eating and getting harassed by tank mates

drunkenclown

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
puchased 4 tangs the first week of february. the white cheek showed signs of what i thought was it after about two weeks tried treating with fishkeeper(the stuff in the blue bottle) and herbtana but no luck and now i feel like every day another fish dies and my white cheek looks worse and now my clown has some kind of film on him or something doesn't really look like ich looks like more like a white film almost

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Pics would help greatly. I don't believe its velvet if its been since the first week in February that you had any new additions. Velvet kills very quickly.

As for possibly Brooklynella. What are their symptoms? Are they lethargic, refusing to eat? Brooklynella is a possibility since you indicated your clownfish is among the hardest hit from it.

What are your parameters and husbandry? Also, how long has this system been running.

drunkenclown

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i wish i could get good pics but i have an iPhone ill try tomorrow with whites lights only no blues.

as a far as symptoms all fish were eating up until last week. the only fish that really had spots on it was the white cheek tang. all of the fish that already died were acting strange, out of their spots swimming a little strange, stopped eating and died within a couple of days. now the last couple of days my clown stopped eating, been hiding in all different spots and tonight been getting chased by the purple tang and blonde naso. I've had the clown since i set-up my first tank 2 years ago.

as far as husbandry:

i usually change 10-15 gals every weekend. did my water change last saturday changed 15 gals(started dosing herbtana this week after i noticed my clown and bristle weren't eating. tonight will be 4th dose...if i continue) didn't change any water yet because I've been using the herbtana

system has been up and running for about 1yr 2wks(mid feb 14)
with fish since mid march 14

thought params might be off checked yesterday:
temp 77-78
salt 1.024/1.025
ph 8.0
amm 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5-10

mixed reef zoas, leather, duncans, palys, favia, candycanes all doing fine

drunkenclown

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't think any of them are still healthy the purple tang and blonde naso seem the strongest but didn't really go after seaweed like the normally do the last two days.

As of this morning still have:
Maroon clown
Purple tang
Blonde naso
Frogfish/angler-in sump
Maybe-damsel

Still need help. Need a tank and heater n proper medication. Going to try n buy these as soon as I can leave work this afternoon. But gonna need help catching fish n getting everything set up.

drunkenclown

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
thanks fredro.

as of this morning clown is still alive. but its been pretty much staying in the corner near the top for the most part. it did one quick lap when i turned on the lights in the room and went right back to the corner. not keeping it head out of water but definitely going to the surface. breathing seem slow and labored almost.

so confused. originally thought one of my new tangs brought in ich. so the guys at my lfs seem to think that this is all the result of severe ich and now the fish has a bacterial infection from trying to fight off the ich for so long?

drunkenclown

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
here's a pic from last night.

Attachments

• IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 87

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0

jdino

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a velvet wipe out a few years ago. If u can remove all fish to hospital tank and treat them you might be able to save a few. Velvet spores attack gills so classic sign is labored or rapid breathing/gill movement. If you take fish out your tank will recover and spores will die without fish host in 6-8 weeks. I waited 10 weeks just to be sure. Good luck. Will not hurt or infect inverts.

drunkenclown

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Clown died today. Stopped home at lunch and he was dying.

So here is where I stand:

Have a purple tang, blonde naso and 2 yellow tail damsels in my display tank

The purple tang looks fine and is picking at seaweed on a clip. The blond naso also is picking at seaweed only visible signs of anything are about 4-5 small white dots on its "flipper"? Fin on one side and 6-8 on the other side. I'd say both are behaving normal.

The two yellow tail damsels are coming out into the open but not sure if they are eating gonna try n feed tomorrow trying to stick to my normal feeding schedule but cut way back on the amount trying to keep my tank as stable as possible.

my frogfish seems fine gonna move him back to my fuge and fortify my sump so he stops getting in my return chamber tomorrow n try n feed him Thursday or Friday.

Did I mess up? Should I have caught all my fish n treated? Figured since clown was only one with visible symptoms n was in such bad shape was best to just treat the clown n leave everything else be as not to add anymore undo stress

What I was thinking is I'm going to watch my current fish for the next 30 days at least for any sign of sickness or disease then after that when I buy any fish going to qt for 30 day so that means 2 months no new fish going into my display n 2 months watching my current fish is this long enough?

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate all the help u guys really make me feel welcome here. Hope to meet some of u at nerac

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Yea u messed up not catching a treating them asap but we all make mistakes.. U should just go buy a cheap tank at petco or online to have on hand just incase this happens.. Id say it's to late for the naso but who knows sometimes they pull threw exspeacially if there eating.. Add some sicca hyper garlic to diet. I just started feeding my fish it and they go crazy for it. Just put couple drops in cyp with whatever u feed and let soak for a bit then feed them.. Says it boost immune system and could be a very good defense against parasites.. Doesn't pay to take them out of display at this point it'll Prob just stress them more.. Hope this helped

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: