Im in the middle of a 80 gallon rimless build. Im building the stand and its going pretty good except for what i did today. I was rushing to get the top piece of plywood cut(where the foam/tank will sit) and remembered I needed to cut out a space for the overflow. So instead of planing it out i just rushed to cut. I cut the wood a little to close to one of the 2x4 and now its showing through the hole of the plywood. This isn't a 2x4 that the bottom rim of the tank will touch/lean on but still im not sure about it. Its hard to see but theres another 2x4 in front of the one thats showing through the hole. If you look at the picture from the front yyou can get a good idea. Theres (3) 2x4's in each corner of the stand.

The question basically id should i replace the Plywood and recut the hole for the overflow? im not even 100% sure of the dimensions for the overflow.
The tank will be a 80 gallon deep blue rimless reef ready(don't have the tank yet).
:Yikes:

Attachments

• File Mar 09, 12 38 42 AM.jpg
    File Mar 09, 12 38 42 AM.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 158
  • File Mar 09, 12 38 21 AM.jpg
    File Mar 09, 12 38 21 AM.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 156
  • File Mar 09, 12 38 05 AM.jpg
    File Mar 09, 12 38 05 AM.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

jvu61

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I be more concerned about the screws used to secure the top coming in contact with the bottom of the tank. if the 2x4 is not in contact with anything I don't see why it should be a problem

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
the tank only rests on the outside perimeter of the stand. so if the back of the tank sits on solid wood, you have no worries. as mentioned about the screws, they should be counter sunk below the wood surface.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
make sure that 2x4 is not in the way for the bulk head. if it is you can remove it once the stand is skinned, its only a nailer for assembling the stand. i removed mine.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
make sure that 2x4 is not in the way for the bulk head. if it is you can remove it once the stand is skinned, its only a nailer for assembling the stand. i removed mine.

I think your ok, you can place a thin layer of pink foam that Home Depot sells if worries about the screws. Or unscrew the top platform and glue it on o stead of using screws

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Thanks,

So I need to press down little more on the screws and make sure that there below the plywood surface?

correct. when i pre drill i use a counter sinking bit. then i fill holes with wood putty on top of screw. you might have to remove it and counter sink first, but try tightening more first.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: