PVsPlayhouse

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thinking about a new project for my tank. I'm going to be putting my chiller in my attic because it makes my living room way to hot. It will also give the chiller more room to breath so it should work a lot better. I'm also adding a 25 w UV to the Chiller as well up there.

Since I'm doing all this work to get the water into the attic I was thinking about adding to my filter system. I got a Gen x Mak 4 pump to pump the water into the attic. What I'm thinking about doing is add a removable DSB. I'm going to add 150 to 200 lbs of Southdown sand in a 25gl bucket. This will help me with my Nitrates and able me to get more fish. I'm also going to add 25gl rectangle bucket for Marcro to give me a larger growing area then the Sump I have now under my tank. I'm going to take most or all of my sand out my Sump I have now and fill it with live rock. The last thing I'm going to add is a 32 gl bucket to add more water to the tank. The 32gl bucket will also be used for water changes. I'm going to add a valve on the bottom and on the top of the bucket. When I want to do a water change all I would have to do is shut down the top valve and open the bottom to empty the water into my sink.

The Gen x will be set up with the intake on my sump I have now. It will run up my wall with 3/4 PVC. In the attic I'm going to have the water pump right into the chiller, then UV. After UV I'm going to add a Tee so half of the flow goes to the DSB and Macro and the other half goes to the 32gl bucket. The DSB will only need around 300GPH of flow, I don't want a sand storm in there, all I need is just enough flow so nothing can settle on top of the sand. The rest will go to the 32gl bucket. I'm guessing that the pump will have a flow of around 600gph or a little more when it hits the attic.

My question is for the return, if I go with 3/4 going up can I go down with 1" or 1.25?

I'm also going to have a check valve on the way up so the water does not flow back down through the pump if the power goes out. Is there anything I can do on the return end to help out with water going back into my sump? One thing I was going to do was to lower the water level in my sump so it can handle the extra water. But looking for other ideas.
Thanks
PV

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: