bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I have been cycling my 55g since Apr 24th and I added 3 pieces of shrimp to help feed the bacteria and I added a small bottle of nitrifying bacteria to help my dead LR and LS. Also I dosed the tank with 6 drops of pure ammonia yesterday and today. The smell has died down and the water had cleared up but

When should I remove the shrimp because they have the fungus around them now???

Jlavine

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Remove them now. I also don't recommend ammonia, but just my opinion.

The live rock, live sand and added bacteria will be enough. Just give it time and monitor levels as needed. Try to get some live rock from a vendor or member to help seed the tank more.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Don't need the shrimp so take it out now. I also used ammonia when cycling my 45 and I liked it, I was able to tell when I had enough Nitrifying bacteria to neutralize any ammonia I added before I added any fish so I was 100% certain the tank was cycled. I used the Dr Tims fishless cycle and it works great, just gotta test often and don't over dose.

bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Don't need the shrimp so take it out now. I also used ammonia when cycling my 45 and I liked it, I was able to tell when I had enough Nitrifying bacteria to neutralize any ammonia I added before I added any fish so I was 100% certain the tank was cycled. I used the Dr Tims fishless cycle and it works great, just gotta test often and don't over dose.

How long did it cycle for

bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I would wait till you have zero nitrite and zero ammonia then do a 20% water change, after that I would start to add my cuc and maybe a small hardy fish.

I setup the tank on 4/24

So after 5days my ppms are:

Ammonia is at 0ppm

Nitrite is at 1ppm

Nitrate is at 100pm

PH is 7.8 or below

What should I do ????

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I setup the tank on 4/24

So after 5days my ppms are:

Ammonia is at 0ppm

Nitrite is at 1ppm

Nitrate is at 100pm

PH is 7.8 or below

What should I do ????

Wow, honestly I would invest in new test kits lol. For your nitrate to be 100ppm and have 0 ammonia and very little nitrite in only a few days of cycling something is defiantly wrong. I never went above 10ppm of nitrate my entire cycle.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Honestly before spending the money try bringing a water sample to a lfs for a second opioion. Could be that raw shrimp which is why I hate that method, if you don't take it out in time it can really pollute your tank,but still at day 5 you should still have ammonia.

bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I got LS and LR from my old tank but I got somemore LS from someone live tank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: