RonsterNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I am going to take down my HSA 250 skimmer and upgrade to EURO-REEF CS8-3. I am going to put it in my ecosystem sump, which means I will have to get rid of my caulerpa and miracle mud. Any thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated. Am I doing the wrong thing about getting rid of the macroalgea or do I have more to gain by putting in this skimmer? Also, I have a 120 Reef that is heavily stocked, so is the Euro-reef cs8-3 too much or is there such a thing? Please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I think most people's fuges build up and dump more nutrients into the water column than some algae can remove. So IMO/IME(I removed my fuge a few weeks ago and NO3/PO4 dropped) you are doing the right thing.
Do you have sand in the display?
I'm a big euroreef fan as well.

RonsterNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I have a sandy bottom. I like it, but I am not sure what the pros and cons for getting rid of the miracle mud and caulerpa are. I am also thinking of a Deltec APF600, it's pricier, but it also lets me maintain my sump the way it is now, as these skimmers can be use out of the sump.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I can't seem to pull up info on the cs8-3. Can you post the link from the place you are buying from?
No one has foumd any benefit of Miracle Mud. It's primarily made of quartz. Good marketing scheme is probably the best thing I've heard anyone say about ecosystem.
As for the Deltec... I do not mean to start a flame war or piss off anyone who owns a Deltec, so I will preface this by saying that I think Deltec are probably the best needlewheel skimmers around. However (you guys knew that was comming) I don't think they perform that much better than a euroreef to warrant the cost. You can probably oversize your euroreef for less than an appropriately sized Deltec.
A lot of guys are digging the H&S skimmer too...look into that one as well.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
you can also search about it on yahoo or google.
Yeah, I know, but I'm not a computer guy and I get annoyed digging through a bunch of sites to find info.:type:
I have heard that my PH could drop without the macroalgea...any thoughts on how to fix that?
I think that problem is overrated, especially if your tank is well aerated. Anyone? I'm also not going to say you should remove your algae. You can keep it, I would just try to set the flow so not much settles in the fuge and more gunk remains in suspension to be skimmed or removed mechanically.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I beg to differ :)

I ran a ER CS8-2 Recirculating external and thought it was good until I replaced it with a much smaller bodied Deltec AP600.
5" body vs 8" body, 18 watts vs 48 watts. The smaller Deltec skimmed darker and more consisent then my ER.

Seller for the CS8-3 is a friend of mine, standup guy and his skimmer is NIB.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I beg to differ :)

I ran a ER CS8-2 Recirculating external and thought it was good until I replaced it with a much smaller bodied Deltec AP600.
5" body vs 8" body, 18 watts vs 48 watts. The smaller Deltec skimmed darker and more consisent then my ER.

Seller for the CS8-3 is a friend of mine, standup guy and his skimmer is NIB.
Warren's the man... I won't argue with him. Difference in opinion.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I am also thinking of a Deltec ap851...

I don't see why this skimmer costs $1100. One NW eheim pump on an 8" body. The eheim draws about 16LPM, just doesn't seem like enough to me, at least not for that kind of money. IMO you're better going with a DAS EX2. On the DAS you get 20LPM on a 6" body for a fraction of the price.
Although I have no experience with it, the ATI bubble master supposedly kicks a$$$ and the price is reasonable. I don't think anyone has them in stock right now though:eek:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: