BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Greetings MR

While doing a water change I noticed stray voltage in my DT. I felt the slight tingle of electricity not quite a hard shock but the presence of electricity. I quickly unplugged the pump from the new water resivour and the problem seemed to be solved. I have a GFCI adapter plugged into a grounded wall outlet. I have a heavy duty surge protector plugged into the GFCI adapter. All of the tank equipment is plugged into an apex which in turn is plugged into the above mentioned surge protector. I am curious why my GFCI didn't trip as a result of the stray voltage. The pump used to pump new water into the DT was plugged into the same surge protector. My tank is on a wooden stand which sits on top of a tile floor. When I was doing the maintenance I was wearing crocks shoes. Is it possible the tank and my body were insulated from ground by the wood and my shoes? I have tripped the same GFCI with a few stray drops of water.. I'm glad to report no distress from livestock. Im retiring the water change pump.

Last edited:

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
You my friend are very lucky. I would try to start replacing power receptacles that are being used by the tank. I had a faulty heavy duty power strip a little while back. Had a power surge which went right through the surge protector and zapped the tank. All the fish died and when I reached my hand into the tank after seeing all the death and not knowing what the cause was, i felt the same type of tingle you described.

It ended up being a power strip that I had my return pump and a few other things plugged into, once i replaced that, the tingle went away and after that I purchased a grounding probe for my tank.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
No it wasnt. I have a friend who is an electrician and he said being that I was using the same outlet for all my stuff including my MH lights, he said if i put a GFCI in it would just trip all the time so he advised against it.

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
A ground probe doesn't necessarily remedy the stray voltage situation if it's out of hand. I just felt stray voltage in my tank last week which was the result of a bad float switch and I do have a ground probe. I feel like a ground probe minimally helps.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: