fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I was browsing through YouTube and came across a review of the apex wxm module and the guy in the video seemed to attribute increased growth and coral health to a 6 second pulse in anti sync mode, creating a replica of the tidal flow in and out from waves and causing his alkalinity consumption to double (which is what I guess he is measuring his coral growth by). He also seems to think that the modes like reefcrest and lagoon, I'm assuming, are useless. If you have a minute, give it a watch. I'd love to know what some of you guys think of his conclusions.

http://youtu.be/TdqwSd4eYDM

Thanks

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Fredo Excellent!!!!
I have 4 Jaebos and i switched the mode 4 weeks ago to flow mode C and you can adjust the intervals the same as he did but bottom line i did see my alkalinity start to deplete massively after this was adjusted but had no idea what it was due too! I also have been noticing the corals liking this better since they dont get a constant flow but they get a break to catch some down time and they are getting a differnt current every minute as that is what i have mine programmed to do and not 6 seconds. for me i thought 6 seconds is just too quick, almost like a wave type mode but a little longer.
Learning something here everyday!!!

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Oops i meant Fredro, I keep thinking of Fraydo from dog day afternoon lol

I knew whatcha meant :) regardless, after hearing more positive things about this flow pattern and others noting better coral health or growth, I am starting to think that I should maybe ditch the Reefcrest Mode and try out a new style wave simulation schedule, unless someone else can advise me otherwise...

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
its the 4th mode on the Jabeo.
W1. wave mode
W2. Sine mode
H. Flow mode
C. is the shift mode you want to have this effect
Im now wondering if i should leave this mode 24/7 or leave on the night mode for a constant slow night flow and no alternating during the evening lights out . hmmmm?

lrasser

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
In my experience the key is random flow. I have about 4-5 different wave patterns that rotate at different times of the day in sequence with my lights. I try to simulate the natural patterns of the ocean. As Fredo knows I dose about 200 ml of each daily as well as 25 ml of magnesium just to keep up. I'm in the process of switching to a calcium reactor. Most of my SPS are frags with a few small colonies but my growth rate has been excellent.

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
ok i'm going to try this too with MP40s on anti sync 6 seconds. I'll let you guys know.

Awesome! I have 3 MP10s on my 80g deep blue tank and I'm not 100% sure how well I could get this to work, just because of my aquascaping and coral placement, I'm afraid that I would wind up blasting some of the corals with too much direct flow. Regardless, I am very interested to know the results and if it seems to be something that is really that much more beneficial, I would consider moving things around a little to allow me to achieve this effect. Thanks!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: