lrasser

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I agree. I'm currently dosing a 125g sps tank. I dose 190 ml alk, 210 ml cal and 18 ml mag daily. I have to do a 5 gal water change monthly with just RODI just to keep the salinity in check. I have a full calcium reactor setup ready to go. Just haven't had the time yet to set it up. It's not a cheap investment but pays for itself over time. Smaller tanks dosing is the way to go.

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I used to manually dose ca alk n mag in my 80g + 30g (sump) that had a few sps pieces. I started adding more sps and then (2) 3-4" small clams. I then bought a Jebao DP-4 Dosing pump to make life easier as dosing became a multiple time a day task, to avoid levels jumping around. I LOVE the Jebao doser and would recommend it to any in the market for one, considering the cost/value/quality. As my sps collection slowly increases, along with the demand for supplements, I am starting to look into implementing a Calcium Reactor.

As with everything in this hobby, looking to the future is a must. Chances are, you're always gonna want more, bigger and better! So if you're thinking you even might need one in the future, you probably will. The cost of a good dosing pump can get close to the cost of a decent used reactor. I plan on getting one in the future and using my dosing pump to dose other things like aminos n whatnot.

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan on really keeping SPS and you have the budget for it, buy a Ca reactor. The reactor will keep a steady stream of alk/ca/mg going into your tank, depending on how well you dial it in, your paramteres can stay rock steady. which is what SPS want.

Dosing is fine, but it is more work in the long run. Once you have your reactor dialed in, there is not much to do other than check that it is still running properly. The only mainainac is once a year refill the CO2 tank and change out the media in the reactor. If you are pushing the reactor very hard, every six months.

lrasser

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
jBNY - I'm about to setup the minical with a plant.com regulator. I spoke to Jeff at MTC about where my starting points should be prior to getting it dialed in but my question still rises and how to adjust for cal and alk to get to fine tuned. There is really only bubble count and flow so I can't see it being difficult. I can't find any articles on it. Any advice?

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Set it up with a ph probe on a controller. You find the set point on the ph meter where you want your alk to be and set the low point to shut it down in case of a equipment failure it will protect you and shut your co2 down. My set point started at a ph dripping into a effluent cup at 7.10 I now have it at 6.85. If it drops under that ph number my co2 shuts down

lrasser

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I modified mine and installed the ph probe between the first and second chambers. I wanted to be able to tell the ph in the primary chamber were te break down occurs. What you said makes perfect sense. Thanks. If the co2 is increased does that increase both alk and cal? I was under the impression the restricting or increasing the flow will change the reaction time in the chambers. This would allow for a more rich solution. Why in trying to figure out is the relationship between te effluent rate flow and co2 levels in the first chamber. I need a strong drink after just thinking about it but I'm sure it's simple.

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeff will give you numbers on where he thinks the mincal should be to get yourself started. But basically you dispense more effluent (increase flow out of the reactor) if you need more alk and lower it if the reactor is putting out too much.

So say you start with your alk at 8 dKh. I would first, before you have the reactor going, dose nothing for one day and see what your alk consumption is. for example if after 24 hours you measure the alk at 7.2 you consume .8 alk a day. So then dose to get your alk back up to 8 and turn on the reactor. Wait 24 hours and test again, if you alk is lower dose to get it back to the stating point and turn up the effluent a little. If it is you alk is too high, turn off the reactor until the alk is at the starting point and turn it back on and adjust the effluent so you have a little more. repeat until you measure the same alk every day for 3 or 4 days, then you are dialed in, After that is done go back and measure you ca and mg and dose them to get them back in order. From then on you should be rock steady. But it is important to test after 24 hours of making an adjustment on the reactor .

In the long run I think getting a ph controller makes it easier to maintain and less to worry about as well. FWIW I run my pH at 6.55 in the first chamber of my reactor.

Here is a primer I wrote a while ago on Ca reactors and setup that should answer most questions I hope.

http://cnidarianreef.com/G180/faq.php?FID=37

lrasser

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Excellent article ! So basically I'm settin my alk with the reactor the manually settin my cal and the reactor should maintain that level. When I spoke to Jeff he just said set the alk to 10-12 dkh and that's all. I wasn't feeling to easy about that option. And don't every bother checking calcium.

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it is dialed in the alk/ca/mg will be maintained and hold at those levels, correct. Calcium is used up much slower than the alk so it's generally easier to just focus on the alk in the beginning. Once dialed in go back and dose calcium to bring it back up to where you want it.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Why are you using both? I have a MTC procal and it was easily able to keep up with my 270 gallon tank, when I had a ton of SPS.

i like low Alk. less CO2, i find up by using both , my PH is 8.05 up, very steady Alk. i got also 99.99 SPS. i got Libra when i got 75 Gal. i will never sale it (i use it for dosing Vodka ,also).

lrasser

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
OK so you have given me the itch to try it. Just finished setting it up. All is flowing. Going to take my base levels shortly. What is a good starting point on the aquarium plant regulator? I'll update this thread with my experiences.with it set to its lowest setting the ph goes to about 6.4 in the first chamber. I have the ph controller set to bring it up to 6.6 for now. (just testing). just seems like if its set to 10 seconds per bubble it should be higher.

Last edited:

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using a pH controller is doesn't really matter what the bubble count is because the controller will shut off the CO2 when it hits the target. I would start with the controller set to turn the CO2 off at 6.55 and back on at 6.60 if you can do that. I am not sure how the plant regulator work but I would shoot for 40 bpm and go from there.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I'm deciding on equipment for my 35 gallon tank - the plan is full-on SPS tank. In the past I only had a few pieces and was able to get by with manual dosing but I don't want any part in that once the tank is ready for sps.

Is a calc reactor a poor choice for this size tank? It's an all-in-one arrangement so I'm also wondering about tubing and whatnot (would be relevant for both dosing and calcium reactor)

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I'm deciding on equipment for my 35 gallon tank - the plan is full-on SPS tank. In the past I only had a few pieces and was able to get by with manual dosing but I don't want any part in that once the tank is ready for sps.

Is a calc reactor a poor choice for this size tank? It's an all-in-one arrangement so I'm also wondering about tubing and whatnot (would be relevant for both dosing and calcium reactor)

i think it will be over kill, and hard to dial in at low levels for a small tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: