Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Yesterday I went downstairs to do something creative, I don't remember, maybe trim my ear or nose hair and I noticed the carpet around the tank was damp. The tank is in a closet and has sat in this spot, on this home made stand since 1979. I didn't think the tank was leaking because this has happened a few times before. I removed the items from the closet, things like the Super 8 movie projector that we needed to view our wedding movies in 1974, a "dial" phone and an 8 track tape player. If you don't know what any of those things are, Google them and grow up some more.
Inside the closet there was a puddle. There was also a fish in the puddle, a wrasse that I have been looking for, for a week or so. Unfortunately the puddle wasn't deep for the fish to still be alive. Anyway, where is the water coming from? I crawled under the tank, and on my way I checked out the bottom glass of the tank with a flashlight to see the amphipods scurrying away from the light. I think some of them were doing the Macarana. Then a drop of water falls on my bald head and makes a noise. If you are bald, you know the noise. I get to the far stand leg and see that it is extreamly rusty. This is not a surprise because a few years ago I noticed it and bolted another leg to the tank to support the weight. Those legs are made of "Kindorf" which are galvanized steel building supports that we use in construction for everything. But even the heavy galvanizing on Kindorf will not stop rust forever.
The leg was wet and water was slowly oozing down. I removed the dead fish and got up (after hitting my head numerous times) Above the corner of the tank with the water I have my manifold for my Reverse Undergravel filter screwed to the wall. The thing has stand offs to keep it away from the wall but after so many years, salt built up behind it and the wall allowing a slow progression of moisture to run down the wall and leg. This probably has been going on for many years which is why the leg looks like it does. The opposite leg looks like the day I installed it.
I removed the manifold, which I don't ever remember removing and I made longer "stand offs" in back of it to keep it away from the wall and the rim of the tank. I also put a de humidifier in the closet to dry it up before I put all my "valuable" stuff back in. You never know when someone will need a Super 8 movie projector from the 50s
Here is the manifold as it was mounted over the tank. Water is pumped into it and it is split up into 3 tubes that come out the bottom to evenly supply water to all 3 UG filter tubes. (Stop laughing about the reverse UG filter)

This is the thing removed from the tank

And the rusty leg. The "new" leg is the one to the left of it. Someday I will have to empty the tank and install new legs, but I hope that day never comes.

This was the wrasse. I really need to replace this guy and cover the spot that fish seem to enjoy leaping from.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Enjoy reading your stories, but they always remind me that I'm old. I know what all those things are and my 8 film I converted to tape years ago and I stil can't see them because now I have to convert them to DVD ...
BTW ... It looks like a Linespot Flasher wrasse

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: