Jim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
All my other parameters are pretty good. Calcium is 450, Mag is 1400, nitrate almost undetectable with salifert kit. PO4 .08. tested with Milwaulkee.

I checked the Alk with Salifert and Hanna and getting 11.8 dKh on both tests.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
What I would do is shut my selenoid down for 24, let my alk and calcium drop. 425 is perfect for calcium. If the calcium don't drop to 425 in the 24hrs I would leave it off a little longer. When you turn your selenoid back on Either slow the bubble count down or open the effluent to keep my cal number at 425

Last edited:

Jim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
What I would do is shut my selenoid down for 24, let my alk and calcium drop. 425 is perfect for calcium. If the calcium don't drop to 425 in the 24hrs I would leave it off a little longer. When you turn your selenoid back on Either slow the bubble count down or open the effluent to keep my cal number at 425

Thanks, I'll try that

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
11.8 ins't that bad - I would be more worried up around 13

I do a large water change every once in awhile with Instant ocean to drop the levels a little bit. Then I go back to my regular regimen. Since IO comes in about 325 Ca and 8.6 DKH this should take it down to a reasonable level IMO.

FWIW

House

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Jim,
that's on the bottom end of where I would keep it.. I usually shoot for 1.026
I was hoping it was on the higher side, were you could add straight RODI water to bring it down to try and help dilute the alk reading.
what's your current reading? and did you keep your CARX off for the past few days to help it drop?

Jim C.

Jim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Jim,
that's on the bottom end of where I would keep it.. I usually shoot for 1.026
I was hoping it was on the higher side, were you could add straight RODI water to bring it down to try and help dilute the alk reading.
what's your current reading? and did you keep your CARX off for the past few days to help it drop?

Jim C.

I'm doing a large w/c today with IO like House suggested . I'll see how that works first.
But I did drop the bubble count a little also.

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I would just take the kalkwasser reactor offline for now. Your alkalinity should drop and just let the CaRx handle the alkalinity & Ca.
I tee my ATO output with JG unions and ball valves so that I can split the kalkwasser reactor output with just RO water when the alkalinity gets to high and the calcium stays within range. This allows me to lower the lime water without sacrificing the volume of water replacement.

Jim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I would just take the kalkwasser reactor offline for now. Your alkalinity should drop and just let the CaRx handle the alkalinity & Ca.
I tee my ATO output with JG unions and ball valves so that I can split the kalkwasser reactor output with just RO water when the alkalinity gets to high and the calcium stays within range. This allows me to lower the lime water without sacrificing the volume of water replacement.

Thanks Warren, that sound like a good idea. I'll try that next.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Just went through this when I re filled my co2 tank and cal rx media my alk shot up too 11 boo ....corals lost some color but I expect it that is one of the issues with cal reactor u find that sweet spot things start doing really well then u have to refill it and get it dialed in again sometimes doesn't go so smooth and ur # s fluctuate its a Pita I guess I should re fill more often so the amount of media in chamber doesn't differ so much ?
Any way I do basically what warren does and will cut my kalk amount in half to slowly drop alk if that doesn't work ill cut it even further till I see the # I want then slowly tinker with the amount of kalk powder till I hit alk of 8 I should mention first I drop bubble count in my case I dropped my bubble count to 1 bubble every 10 seconds that's as low as carbon doser goes but that was still keeping my alk around 10-11 so I cut kalk in half getting 9 hoping by next week I'll get to 8 and start to up the kalk again!

Hope that makes sense this is a really helpful thread for ppl new to cal reactor

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: