Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey Everyone,

Just curious as I have a 48x24x30 (LxWxH) tank that has been running for 2 years. It has wrasses and tangs, Im debating on moving all of the rocks to the back wall and make it tall with lots of crevices. Which should give a lot of sand room. Im not sure which stingray stays the smallest, pretty sure its the cortez stingray, although the blue dot stingray looks very nice I'm pretty sure they get bigger and are not as hardy, unless I'm thinking about the blue ribbon stingray if not mistaken. As for the shark I ws think coral cat shark since they stay smaller, however I think they are more active compared to the banded cat shark. Of course these sharks will surely outgrow my tank, but curious till what size you think they would be comfortable and how long will it tank in your opinion. Also Im not looking for both stingray and shark....its either ray OR shark not both....

Also it will be a male ray, as Im pretty sure like in freshwater, male rays stay considerably smaller than female rays

Thanks!

Last edited:

angelo14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I had a cortez ray and a marble cat shark in a 125 long and then moved them both into a 210. The ray is very active and would totally recommend it, the shark being nocturnal I don't enjoy it too much (but still love it).

I would just be careful with the ray because one day my angel decided (after almost 7 months together) to attack the ray eyes and I couldn't save it.

I got both from 3 to 5 aquatics aka harrymania, fish are healthy and best price.

Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Leopard Shark!!! Hell yeah hopefully their is two I'm interested! Jk, i wish i had a huge tank for them. Do you guys think tangs would go for the eyes? I know angels and triggers would probably but I don't have those. Thanks and i will check out harry mania seems interesting. Im a huge shark fan really want a shark like a banded cat or coral cat, but I doubt they can stay in this tank very long any recommendations or my best bet is sticking with one cortez stingray would be great to get 2 but might be pushing it

Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Ok awesome, I will make the final verdict when I actually stack up the rocks along the back wall. Im trying to figure out away to stack the rocks along the back as well as give fish like the wrasses hiding room, but most importantly a lot of sand space for the ray.

offroad

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leopard shark was just a suggestion. If you look on sharkraycentral.com you will be able to find someone with a small species of shark and stingrays. There are lots of breeders and a few importers.

Dan 0139

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look on sharkraycentral.com you will be able to find someone with a small species of shark and stingrays. There are lots of breeders and a few importers.

+100. There is someone from NY that has a breeding group of yellow stingrays. Which will be a good option for you.

Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
The leopard shark was just a suggestion. If you look on sharkraycentral.com you will be able to find someone with a small species of shark and stingrays. There are lots of breeders and a few importers.

Just kidding, thought leopard sharks get really big.

I will take a look at the breeding yellow stingray suggestion. Would be cool to see if I could do a ray pup and a shark pup like one of the benthic sharks like coral/banded sharks. But i will defiantly be pushing it...unless there are lots of members on here that rather have large sharks like 15 inches or so...would defiantly give away the shark for free to a good home eventually but doubt its that easy

If you can get me more details on the yellow rays like, who breeds them that will be great as I will do research on yellow rays now since i pretty much studied cortez

Weird Ive always been a member of that site, but never posted anything

Last edited:

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
you can also try to create a platform of some type to elevate the LR, maybe out of acrylic. this way the ray can swim under and have enough sand. Not sure if that's a good idea or not but good luck

Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thats what I'm thinking, trying to think of someway to elevate the rocks , I mean I could defiantly give them space just by moving the rocks to the back wall but elevating the rocks would be even better in my opinion. Will have to see

offroad

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can raise the rock by making a platform with pvc pipe and light diffuser or acrylic. Keep the rock in the middle. Stingrays like to work the edges.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: