FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
I have a 220g with 40g sump. I drilled 2 holes for a 3000gph glass holes overflow. The box is excellent at supressing noise with use of bafflles.

My drain lines are very noisy. I cant use herbie method as the box is so slim bulkheads do not fit in box. Nor can i put on drain higher than another.

I was thinking of adding valves to both drain lines and producing a syphon as if i had a proper herbie. Only i will not have one drain higher than another.

My return pump sites in a small 5 inch chamber. Also it had an auto shut off feature when running dry. Another thing to consider is that my water line in display tank is a few inches under the top rim. This means the main tank could hold alot of extra water incase something cloggs BOTH drains. Again only about 2-3 gallons fit in return chamber anyway.

I would have no emergency line But in an event of emergency 2-3 gallons will flow from return chamber to dt. The dt will barely be filled by this. The return pump will auto shut off. And not a drip will reach the floor. And for this to happen both 2" drains willl have to clog.

Another idea was to create a full syphon in one line and leave the next line a little open. This wont be silent but will be much quieter.

Am i missing something or will this work?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: