piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How can 4 wrasse been together and now 3 are hiding. All at same time too. I started with Halichoeres melanurus than divided Leopard Wrasse. These 2 been together over 2 years. Never had a problem just when I introduced leopard. I added yellow coris about 2 months never had any trouble. I than added Blue fairy and also had no issue with the 4 wrasse. All of sudden leopard, yellow coris, and blue fairy are hiding. Never seen any chasing between any wrasse. Maybe a little tag. I saw blue head yesterday just staying at bottom. Looked good but all 3 haven't eaten in two weeks now. I saw leopard but never ate and went hiding. Melanurus is the bigger wrasse but really never see him harass any wrasse. Odd all 3 went into hiding together. Anybody has a clue? 90 gal reef tank plenty of hiding places. I just got back from vacation I figure they would be out by now. I also notice hawk fish hiding too.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Easy explanation Pat.... Same thing happened to me a few years ago. The Melanurus is maturing and becoming territorial. For that reason it's one of the wrasses on my wont keep again list along with Mystries, sixlines and a few others. They re all beautiful, but in many cases their personalities change as they mature. You can try to capture it and leave it out for a week or so and then reintroduce it so it's the newbie again.... hopefully that works or you may have to make a decision what you want to keep. I kept my Leopards.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had the same issue. I started with a pair of Hooded Wrasses, they got a Melanurus. I added a very small Lunatus and then a Punctatus supermale. All was OK. Last week I added a Royal flasher and a Lanceolatus CF supermale and both were driven into hiding because of the Melanurus. I had to fish him out and bring him back. After a day or two they came out.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well Mike, your right two wrasses are out now and still waiting on leopard. Never saw Melanurus chase them. Now that he's out of tank. Yellow coris is picking on Blue fairy. No hiding . It seems the wrasse with pointed nose are more aggressive. Than rounded ones. Are yellow coris aggressive? Wrasses are nice but not to happy lately.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Good to hear Pat... But it has nothing to do with the shape of their noses, but the species Halichoeres which in general are more aggressive than Leopards, Tamarins, Flashers and Fairies which tend to be more aggressive with each other rather than other species of wrasses. Alittle bickering and chasing is normal just as long as they are all out and eating.....

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mike, yellow coris is now bulling blue fairy. At least it looks like it. His chasing him and blue fairy is out but staying at bottom near a rock. Not eating. Leopard still not out wondering if yellow coris is the cause. Thinking of catch yellow coris. What do you think?

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
All I know when I got back from vacation. My tank went nuts. Swallow Angle fish is bulling everybody. Scarlet hawk fish is hiding. Everybody is fighting with each other. I don't know what happen. I have to do a Domestic fish report for my tank. Only cool guys is royal gramma and fathead. Disgusted .....:groupflip. I try and catch either wrasse because blue wrasse needs to eat..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: