Aquadicted

Bill Goody Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 96.4%
27   1   0
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of building a seahorse set up. I have a lot of pink algae which i will throw in the tank with them. I'm also thinking clams, polyps, softies and maybe a SPS colony if i set up a fuge underneath. Anything else that could look good?

Aquadicted

Bill Goody Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 96.4%
27   1   0
I've been experimenting with flow and I think I can pull off an SPS colony towards the top since it's a high tank, I can have good flow up top and moderate below. Also have been reading there are plenty of seahorses found in rapid flow water. Bu thank you for the input :D

Aquadicted

Bill Goody Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 96.4%
27   1   0
+pic

Attachments

• IMG_20150728_034727419.jpg
    IMG_20150728_034727419.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 133
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
The SPS wont work due to water quality. When I was raising horses, they ate so much food that a normal filtration system wouldn't keep up. I kept them in a 20 gallon, full lighting 200W but a simple sponge filter. My filtration goal was to simply removing the excess algae. My original idea was to keep a planted algae tank, like a refugium, which I guess I was successful at, but I let the cyano and hair algae take over and didn't clean it out. Hair algae was good for them, by giving the pods someplace to hide out, but when the cyano overgrew everything, it was just messy. Anyway, all of my planted algae died out, but the horses did well (till I went on vacation for 18 days), after which they were feeding on the endemic pod population so much, that they wouldn't go back to frozen food when I returned.

So once your system stabilizes, add whatever corals you want that you think can survive the conditions. I'd go for soft corals that are algae resistant. (ie, my GSP was overgrown and died out) I think xenia is algae proof.

Last edited:

Aquadicted

Bill Goody Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 96.4%
27   1   0
The SPS wont work due to water quality. When I was raising horses, they ate so much food that a normal filtration system wouldn't keep up. I kept them in a 20 gallon, full lighting 200W but a simple sponge filter. My filtration goal was to simply removing the excess algae. My original idea was to keep a planted algae tank, like a refugium, which I guess I was successful at, but I let the cyano and hair algae take over and didn't clean it out. Hair algae was good for them, by giving the pods someplace to hide out, but when the cyano overgrew everything, it was just messy. Anyway, all of my planted algae died out, but the horses did well (till I went on vacation for 18 days), after which they were feeding on the endemic pod population so much, that they wouldn't go back to frozen food when I returned.

So once your system stabilizes, add whatever corals you want that you think can survive the conditions. I'd go for soft corals that are algae resistant. (ie, my GSP was overgrown and died out)

Great input and I thank you!

Yes completely agree on SPS.. I've decided on bare botton polyps with artificial corals and oversized filters.. Thanks again!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: