chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Hi everybody.
I am in desperate need of an advice.
I need to move 65G tank to 165G tank.
165G just finished cycling. I used all new rocks and life sand in new system. 65G system
is 6 years old and very established. Some sand (1 cup) was used from a small system to seed larger system at the beginning of the cycle.
The 65G is mixed reef LPS and Zoas dominant with 12 fish in it and few SPS's.
How should I safely move my live stock.? It is all in one room, so there is no traveling.
I am also not pressured on time too much.
1.Should I move the corals first, and if I do it, go with mushrooms and Zoas and see how they do. then move LPS and then LPS?
2. Move the fish first, let it stay for few weeks and then move the corals?
3. Move them together?

Thank you for your time answering my questions.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Because the tank setup is new, and even though it has been cycled, the bacteria level is going to be small, so you want to move things over slowly as you will most likely get small ammonia spikes in the beginning until the bacteria level builds up.

That being said, I would move over a couple of fish first, pick the hardest ones first, and then move the rest over in time. As for the corals, once the fish seem fine I would move over the hardier corals first, like the Mushrooms, and if they look good bring over the other corals, saving the more delicate corals for last. I would also put in some of the LR from the 65g tank into the new tank, as that will help put in more bacteria.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Because the tank setup is new, and even though it has been cycled, the bacteria level is going to be small, so you want to move things over slowly as you will most likely get small ammonia spikes in the beginning until the bacteria level builds up.

That being said, I would move over a couple of fish first, pick the hardest ones first, and then move the rest over in time. As for the corals, once the fish seem fine I would move over the hardier corals first, like the Mushrooms, and if they look good bring over the other corals, saving the more delicate corals for last. I would also put in some of the LR from the 65g tank into the new tank, as that will help put in more bacteria.

Thanks.
Due to very specific aquascape in the new system I was not planing to bring any live rock from the old one. I guess i can do it at the beginning, just to seed the new system, and then take it out.
i also use to have an ick in 65G. have not had an outbreak in 6 month, but i know that the parasite may still be in the water or rocks.
Also, somebody recommend me to add 20-30G of water from 65G to 165G in order to balance the water quality, but I am afraid to do it for the reason mention above.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
If you want to use some of the water you could always filter it through a filter bag a number of times, as that should remove all of the Ich spores from the water. As for the LR, you could always rinse and scrub it off before placing it into the tank.

If you had Ich in the tank there is a good chance that some of the fish may still have it, so you maybe moving some Ich into the new tank when you move the fish. If possible before placing the fish into the new tank you could QT the fish with either Hypo or Copper.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
If you want to use some of the water you could always filter it through a filter bag a number of times, as that should remove all of the Ich spores from the water. As for the LR, you could always rinse and scrub it off before placing it into the tank.

If you had Ich in the tank there is a good chance that some of the fish may still have it, so you maybe moving some Ich into the new tank when you move the fish. If possible before placing the fish into the new tank you could QT the fish with either Hypo or Copper.

Thanks.
QT sounds like a good idea, as well as filter sock.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
You may want to get one of those bacteria products, like Night Out and such, and add them to you tank. This will help to increase the bacteria in the tank faster.
I did that.rial
Also, I cycled the tank with extra large shrimp, so bacteria concentration was high. now, since there is no new food for bacterial colony the size of the colony is going down. i am planing to have very large bioload, so i need some how keep the size of bacterial colony large, with out going through one more mini cycle. How can i do it?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
You need to get a ammonia source, which would come from the fish/livestock and feeding things. Over time it will build up, from the load in the tank, and it will be able to handle what you have. Using bacteria products help in the beginning, as they add more bacteria to the tank and help with any spikes in the beginning from adding too many fish. In the past people use to use Ammonia Chloride as a way of building up a large bacteria load, but if your tank is already cycled then the best thing to do is just add more sources of ammonia to your tank, which you tank then will develop more bacteria. You could also add more LR too.

chiromanta

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
You need to get a ammonia source, which would come from the fish/livestock and feeding things. Over time it will build up, from the load in the tank, and it will be able to handle what you have. Using bacteria products help in the beginning, as they add more bacteria to the tank and help with any spikes in the beginning from adding too many fish. In the past people use to use Ammonia Chloride as a way of building up a large bacteria load, but if your tank is already cycled then the best thing to do is just add more sources of ammonia to your tank, which you tank then will develop more bacteria. You could also add more LR too.
Thanks.
I will try to move my fish first. that would be very difficult task because of my rock work in the old system. In regards to the live rock, I have about 100lb in 165G tank.
it should be sufficient enough to support anaerobic part of the cycle. As I understand, the bacterial colony deep within the rock would do its job. As for aerobic part of the game I have 2" send bed. My worry is the time that is needed for Anaerobic bacterial colony to reach sufficient size. I don't run DSB, so I worry a bit.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Should I feed an empty tank just so bacteria has food to eat?

You need to make sure you have some source of ammonia, otherwise the bacteria will start to die off. So you need to put in some source of ammonia until you put in the fish or inverts. Once the fish are in, and you're feeding them, that will be your source of ammonia.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: