TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys,

I ordered two clams from clamsdirect, one maxima and one crocea. They were part of a group buy with a friend. I picked the clams up last night and the maxima was opened in his tank. They've been in my tank almost 24 hours. The crocea has fully opened but the maxima is fully retracted. Should I be worried?

clams004.jpg

This is the Maxima.
clams002.jpg

Another shot.

clams001.jpg

This the crocea I got with the maxima.

clams005_edited.jpg

This crocea I've had about four months now, courtesy of House of Fish.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
yeah that clam is pretty much dead. if you want to take another pic for a better opinion fine but i would say it's done. i've had a maxima and crocea die on me before and by the looks of the pic the clam is done.

clamcrazy

king of all clams
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't need a clearer pic. ray charles would even tell you that that clam is finished. when was that clam shipped ? i know clamsdirect has a arrive alive guarantee. and you have i think up to 6 hours to let them know if there is a problem. you should still reach out to Barry.

Barry N.

Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked the clams up last night and the maxima was opened in his tank.

It could have been possible a re-acclimation within a short period of time when he received it and then you re-acclimated to your tank. Those small maximas can be a challenge, IME!

Tridacna maxima are by far the hardest to keep IMO and the easiest is the Tridacna derasa.

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Barry,

That's what I figured, it was too much shock for the poor little guy. I did acclimate for almost two hours because I was worried about too much stress on the clam.

Barry, how do you recommend dealing with situations like this for the future. How should we acclimate if we are doing group buys?

By the way thanks for joining the site, your expertise is truly appreciated.

Steven

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Barry, how do you recommend dealing with situations like this for the future. How should we acclimate if we are doing group buys?

Steven, IMO, you should have one experienced aquarist, with a mature tank coordinate the GB. Allow the clams to acclimate in the coordinators' system. Disbursement of the new clams can take place three to four days later (providing that the clams are open and healthy). The first 24-48 hrs after receiving the clams is the most critical.

If you can't do the GB like this, you run the risk of stressing the clams from repetitive acclimation and losing them.

Good luck with your maxima Steven. I hope it makes it.

Russ

Barry N.

Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How should we acclimate if we are doing group buys?

You can do what Russ suggested but I think the best thing is when doing a group buy, let the person that receives the shipment float the bags but DO NOT acclimate the newly arrived animal to that tank. The people that are going to pick up there livestock, do it within hours after the shipment arrives. The reason I suggest this is because if that person has some problems with water quality and then the other pick up their livestock and it dies within a few hours after than, guess who they are going to blame. Am not saying that is what happened with that little maxima. Won't go into a long story but we had something like that happen a few years ago when a person had some kind of issue with his water and with 2 days all the clams died that came out of that tank. :irked: We new it was not our livestock that was unhealthy because we had 6 other shipments (14clams) and all went well.

We have had clams survive up to 52 hours in a bag.

On another note, this time of year it is best to have the person, pick up the shipment at a FedEx facility to avoid riding in a cold truck and fewer people in the chain of custody .

On a side note, am not receiving a email to alert me that someone has replied to a post that I made. :( Help mod. :)

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
On a side note, am not receiving a email to alert me that someone has replied to a post that I made. :( Help mod. :)

Edit Options --> Default Thread Subscription Mode (When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.) --> Choose which notification best suites you.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: