FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
I have always love the metal halide look. I feel in love with Jackson's tank and wanted to go "downgrade" to metal halide ever since. Countless warnings about heat issues kept me using leds.

As a led user i have always been sensative to the disco effect. Where you can see multiple colors across a shimmer line. Kessil is about the only light where i wouldnt see this effect as the lights are so clustered together under one lense.

Then i had the shadowing, prettyt much every nook and cranny was shaded and this darkness could add up across the tank.

Lastly spread. I had 3 kessil a360we over my tank 220g 72x24x30 and could not get enough light to cover the whole tank. Getting radions is just too expensive. And with AI i would prob need 6 units.

In comes Mike from Rapid LED. I was able to get 6x onyx led over my tank, use 100 degree optics and raise them 10-12" over tank and this solved all of the issues above. Also his lights come shipped free and free of tax. Includes hanging kits. Can be dimmed and controlled. They bring out color!

Mike heard my issues and told how to fix each one. I love the way my tank looks and didnt have to get metal halides. Here is a pic.I n person it looks much more bright white. This is all at 100%. It VERY bright. The pic doesnt do it justice.

Attachments

• 20150808_162555.jpg
    20150808_162555.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
So i actually have alot more pukani and fiji that is curing. I will add that in comming weeks. I also dont have a dsb its just the flow keeps pushing the sand around.

Im a fish guy first so im happy with Fowlr. I have some angels so corals will be a problem. I wonder if angels would pick at anemones?

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Nice, what I think what could be a good remedy is doing a combo. Use the LED's as the primary light source than supplement in t5's. Some of the T5 spectrums are just amazing too.

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
Thanks jackson, my lighting craze came after seeing ur tank. Best ever in my opinion.

Kworker im actually selling some t5 retrofits which were used as u describe and ur right with good reflectors you get the same result with better colors. But i took off canopy and could not use them anymore.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: